Conquest dating

The Hardy Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Conquest dating

Post by Nobby »

They are lovely reels. It's surprising how different the two models are...at first they seem to differ only in the drag system employed, but if you look closely everything is different. Even the screws that hold the centreboss on with its copper insert use different threads!

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Nobby wrote:..I feel this is just an urban myth....
i agree, I think it is just something that has been bandied about on the interweb for a few years.
I am a big fan of these reels (i have the dial version). I used to think that it was the earlier version due to it general appearance but changed my mind for the reasons I stated in the earlier post (i'm also sure I have seen another hardy reel with the same dial but can't remember where).
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Several other Hardy reels had a graduated ivorine scale gauge on the drag system, notably the Super Silex

http://www.fawcettsonline.com/product_i ... 9_zoom.JPG

The thing about the slipper it operates inside is that there is nothing to stop on rubbing on the spool when actually turned off, or set to zero.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ccxrtt.jpg

Not the sharpest of images, but you can see the teardrop-shaped slipper so close to the spindle, or centrepin.

Whereas the 'wheel in the hole' does have something to stop it rubbing; ....centripetal motion, ...centrifugal force, if you will, ...throws the brake outwards and keeps it from rubbing.

This is why I see it as an improvement and therefore, possibly as a development making it a later reel. Coupled with the fact that JW Youngs are reputed to have held the patent on the wheel in the hole, from before WW2 as fitted to the Perfection Flick Em, whereas before WW2....Hardy reels had the ivorine scale.

One day we'll find out!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think MG's has the right answer..... but I do prefer the dial version, very Jules Verne.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

That Canadian site was not known for its accuracy. The Wallis they called a No.1 is obviously a No.2 since it has a telephone latch drum release like the Eurakas had.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I suppose it is possible that the front dial reel with the 2 part foot was done to repair a broken foot, at some stage. However, there does not seem to be much logic to their production. It is possible that in the change over period they were using up old parts which lead to several hybrids. A lot of older car companies did this, in order not to waste parts. It often makes identifying such vehicles very tricky.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Two comments on this thread, the first is, my Mrs has just bought me a Conquest with the scale, for my birthday :Thumb: , cant wait to use it. The second is about what MG said about cars, I am led to believe that the the Dacia cars, are made with a lot of Renault parts, such as suspension and engines? :Confused:
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Hardy Reels”