The Hardy "Elarex" spinning reel

The Hardy Reels forum.
Watermole+
Chub

The Hardy "Elarex" spinning reel

Post by Watermole+ »

This was a natural development of the Silex "Rex" multiplier and as it was such a nicely made reel, I thought it should have it's own thread.

I bought mine second-hand a very long time ago, complete with it's original faux-leather box, oiler and instructions, for the princely sum of £8!
This particular reel belonged originally to V.Carron-Wellington (an adopted name), author of "The Adventures of a Sporting Angler", the only book he ever wrote but one of the most fascinating angling books ever written. He was one of those larger-than-life characters who lived an incredible life but sold his Elarex, along with much of his fishing tackle in 1944 when compelled to live under 'reduced circumstances', for £17-0s-0d as you see from the receipt.

I used to use this reel on a regular basis for heavy water spinning, together with the "Three Fishes" brand, 18lb line, which is still on it and still in good condition!
The last time I used it was about 5 seasons ago when I was introduced to dead-bait fishing for pike and managed to catch several small fish and one-a personal best-of 15 1/2lbs. from the River Culm at Stoke Canon, Exeter. (No picture unfortunately).
It is almost as good as a centre-pin to use because there is a fixed, direct drive (the handles cannot be dis-engaged) and is very sensitive to cast with. Braking a running fish is by direct thumb pressure on the line!
It is pictured on my own make 10 1/2', double-built, barbel/carp rod.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: The Hardy "Elarex" spinning reel

Post by Beresford »

Very nice looking rod and reel. I know this thread is in praise of the Elarex and I don't want do derail it but my interest is piqued by your 10' 6" double built rod, could you tell us more about it in another thread?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

That's a beautiful looking reel wm+... ...very jealous, I'd like to own a vintage multiplier reel, any advice would much appreciated... ..btw is it just me or are the majority of mulipliers right hand wind?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Very much so. It was the 'style' years ago to cast with your right arm, pass the rod to the left hand and retrieve the line with the right.

The Americans largely still do it this way and it's quite hard to find their 'baitcasting' reels in left-hand wind, though they do exist, I have several.

I've fished this way for jack pike and you soon adapt. But I struggled to know which hand to use for my landing net when I finally got a fish to the bank......... :oops:

I think you'd better start another thread on the rod, watermole+ :wink:

Trottingshawe

Post by Trottingshawe »

Here is The Elarex multiplier in the 1964 Hardy Guide - I've wanted one of these for donkey's years - so recently I bought a really nice one on Ebay (for £67.) It's going to be used for pike and perch lure fishing with a 10' cane spinning rod and I'm wondering what strength of line to use? The catalogue gives a line capacity of 150 yards of 12lb 'Nyking' line which I think was a braided line of some sort. Any suggestions welcome. Trott.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks for that Malcolm. It's hard finding aout about Hardy reels. A couple of us have been trying to make sense of Altex modifications and it's proving quite confusing to say the least!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, I presumed there was a steady set of improvements made to the Altex and one would see a natural progression, but it's simply not the case.

Some reels have all modifications, some don't. Basically the later reels seem to have had parts fitted that were used in the Mark IIII reels, the guide block specifically and later still a rocking link steady screw. But some reels have the screw and not the guide????

I did wonder if some modifications were done at service times after sales?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Its not healthy looking at Hardy reels, my pulse quickens and my bank balance dips ....... must avert eyes :Hide:

I love fishing with multipliers, baitcasters especially and oddly, I have no problem with fishing them right handed and cannot get on with left handed ones. Just what I've got used to I suppose.

How do these old multipliers perform when compared to the new breed of baitcaster? I may have to dabble one day.

Churchill
Bleak

Post by Churchill »

For the Elarex lovers, some photos of the first model ~

Tomeland
Ruffe

Post by Tomeland »

Watermole's reel might also be a first model. Mine is the same as his with the copper band under the levelwind and has the lump in the middle of the spool like yours Churchill. The only way to be sure is to remove one end plate and see if it has the bearings instead of the bronze bushing type.
Pity the oil port covers are missing from Watermole's reel too.

Return to “Hardy Reels”