"Ventilated" Conquest

The Hardy Reels forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

"Ventilated" Conquest

Post by Lea Dweller »

Not one for the purists maybe, but the holes give this the look of a Eureka, it spins like a top and I love it! Image Image Image

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: "Ventilated" Conquest

Post by Nobby »

Very nice, probably home-engineered, some of the holes are not quite in the right place. It's actually harder to do than you might think as the tiniest error in marking up, centre-punching or allowing the drill bit to wander will result in a hole just off target and the eye picks it up immediately. You should see the mess I made of a few reels and many motorbike parts......

As you know, Ted I'm of the opinion that this is a later version than the ivorine scale model but I recently discovered that there are two versions of this type; .... yours has a copper plug in the centreboss that quickly deforms to the exact shape of the centrepin below and the spool then floats on a film of oil between copper plug and centrepin top. But there is another version with no copper plug apparent, I haven't handled one yet to see if there is any copper on the underside of the boss.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Very nice, I'm thinking of doing the same to one of my reels.... in fact if anyone has access to a dividing head or a lathe with a c axis and driven tools :Thumb:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Nobby wrote:Very nice, probably home-engineered, some of the holes are not quite in the right place. It's actually harder to do than you might think as the tiniest error in marking up, centre-punching or allowing the drill bit to wander will result in a hole just off target and the eye picks it up immediately. You should see the mess I made of a few reels and many motorbike parts......

As you know, Ted I'm of the opinion that this is a later version than the ivorine scale model but I recently discovered that there are two versions of this type; .... yours has a copper plug in the centreboss that quickly deforms to the exact shape of the centrepin below and the spool then floats on a film of oil between copper plug and centrepin top. But there is another version with no copper plug apparent, I haven't handled one yet to see if there is any copper on the underside of the boss.

I am still not sure which model came first either Nobby, but I would have to say that this self ventilated reel adds rather than detracts from the original (In my opinion of course)

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I cannot argue with your comments, as I do not own either size of Eureka. I had always liked the simplicity of the Conquest, tapered handles. solid arbour and decent size drum. This ventilated version retains all of the original features, but adds a lighter and arguably a more attractive spool appearance. I am very happy with the modification, as in use it is excellent!

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello and just for your information on an interesting old post, I have a Hardy Conquest the model without the visible copper plug and I can tell you there is no copper plug under the cover, spins very well and problems at all, just reply if you need a picture.

Regards Lovat

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

derr ,of cause we need pictures ,pictures are worth a thousand words or so I herd .we love pictures
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Just to complete the story regarding the "ventilated" Hardy Conquest, this was the reel that was the inspiration for the "Powell Conquest" that Watermole + did such a wonderful job creating for me. With the greatly increased retrieve ratio, adjustable check, rim mounted check lever and beautiful appearance with the mixture of metals, it is a dream come true. I will be forever grateful to Watermole +, his creation is a joy to use and to look at, I think you will agree!ImageImageImage
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Paul D wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:32 pm Very nice, I'm thinking of doing the same to one of my reels.... in fact if anyone has access to a dividing head or a lathe with a c axis and driven tools :Thumb:
Send a PM with the details Paul..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Lovatt wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 pm Hello and just for your information on an interesting old post, I have a Hardy Conquest the model without the visible copper plug and I can tell you there is no copper plug under the cover, spins very well and problems at all, just reply if you need a picture.

Regards Lovat

Now this is strange, I've never seen a Conquest with out a 'copper' plug instead of a grub screw......though some have a plug in a slightly different alloy, I think.

Return to “Hardy Reels”