Altex

The Hardy Reels forum.
CWK
Perch

Altex

Post by CWK »

Gentlemen , I've just acquired a rather nice No.2 Mk 5 which I'd like serviced before use . It shows the patina of age and appears well used . The bail arm return spring is good but it does make the occasional grinding noise when the handle is rotated . My question : Is there somewhere / someone I can send it to for inspection and service ????

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Altex

Post by Luga00 »

http://www.milltackle.com/

Garry has serviced a couple of reels for me, as well as modifying.

Highly recommended.

Russ

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

These reels are the very devil to dismantle....and even harder to re-assemble!

If Garry doesn't do them you can at least, remove a few 'easy' parts and wash them clean again. The hardest part is to re-lubricate the hidden ball race behind the rotor.
Take all the inspection plates off and take out the three screws of the handle shaft retainer, then you can flush, dry and re-oil all the gears, the con-rod ends, little and large and the track that the little end traverses.

With regard to the rotor ballrace, you can only flush it clean and then dribble some oil into the race from the side, just behind the rotor and leave the reel on its side to drain out the excess. It's hardy a great job, but it does work. Clean everything you can get to with a cotton bud through the holes in the rotor rear face.

Check the line roller isn't grooved, if it is it can be turned to get more life from it.

We did have a TFF member who could dismantle and re-assemble these reels but he seems to have left.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Well, if it is only the cleaning and re-lubricating without the need of any spares I would offer to do it but I am almost certain CWK wouldn't feel pleased sending it over to Germany. I have done it with my own Altex No2 MK5 and even with a No1. Both very fiddly jobs.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Restoration
Stickleback

Post by Restoration »

Hello - Here is a photo of all of the parts needed to put together an Altex No2 Mk5 from scratch and a completed reel. If you decide to strip, clean and rebuild your reel this picture might help you. If you decide to go ahead please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards - John

www.mackenziereelmaker.com

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

Many thanks for the advice gentlemen . I'm meeting Gary Mills in a couple of weeks so will hand it to him for a spruce up . I lack the tools , skill and inclination to tackle the job myself ....

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Restoration wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:38 pm Hello - Here is a photo of all of the parts needed to put together an Altex No2 Mk5 from scratch and a completed reel. If you decide to strip, clean and rebuild your reel this picture might help you. If you decide to go ahead please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards - John

www.mackenziereelmaker.com

A very nice picture, many thanks but theres bits missing??

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Bits missing, which bits :-)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Centre bottom seems to be the 'special' tool you would need to remove the flyer retaining nut....and that's the bit possibly not in the image....????

two very nice reels there, both right-hand-wind I see.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

SofaSurfer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:00 pm Bits missing, which bits :-)
I was only teasing chaps, unless it was something glaringly obvious I wouldn't have a clue. :Chuckle:

Return to “Hardy Reels”