Squeaky Exalta

The Hardy Reels forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Squeaky Exalta

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys when cranking the handle of my Exalta I am hearing a metal on metal noise every time the reel revolves (something rubbing) ... would it be anything to worry about ? Advise please all the best

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Squeaky Exalta

Post by Watermole+ »

I am no expert on the Hardy Exalta, but if you can feel and hear metal grinding on metal when you turn the handle, then stop turning the handle!
In answer to your question..Yes, it would be something to worry about.

The best plan would be firstly to remove the line spool and gently turn the handle a little way. If the grinding is still there, you have to take the side cover off and investigate inside. If something has come loose or detached,it should be fairly obvious and can be put right.

If I can offer some advice..If the metal-to-metal contact has been going on for anything more than a minute, there is a fairly good chance that flakes of metal are floating around the insides, ready to do further damage, so it will be necessary to completely disassemble, wash everything off in solvent and rebuild with fresh "Reel-X" grease.. Don't take a chance on 'everything should be alright'...it's never worth it.

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Some of the worst reel squeaks come from the plastic handle knob running dry on its mounting screw...but yes, try it with the spool off first.

If it still rubs, find a way of opening the bail arm a tiny, tiny amount ( maybe sticky tape or a cocktail stick?) and try again.

After that it's inside to the gears I'm afraid.

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Cheers

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Well guys as suggested I have taken the spool off ... reel turns as quiet as a church mouse so hearings not at fault .. when the spools goes back on squeak returns so it sounds to me that it's the spool rubbing on the housing as it goest up and down when the handle is rotated .. so I will have to live with that and use it more until it come right lol thanks

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It might be a slightly bent rotor spindle from a drop...not uncommon, or it might be the spool touching the bottom of the rotor as it goes fully in.....common problem on Abu Cardinals.

None of these are a real problem....the tiniest brush is exaggerated to a loud scrape by the rotor acting like a loudspeaker, but you could slip some thin paper down the side of the spool to see it if jams anywhere on the inside of the rotor. Clearances here are often as fine as 4 or 5 1/1000ths of an inch, sometimes even less so it really needs to be thin paper. We used to use cigarette hand-rolling paper as a zero clearance measure in the old days of engineering..so don't go that fine or you'll never find the problem with it.....

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Ha ha found the cause of my squeaky Exalta .. if I take the spool off and flip it over it is far from round and on the inside of the housing I can see scratches in one place Where I'm guessing it's catching when winding .. will post on the "items I'm looking for " to see if anyone has a spare round spare a pool

Return to “Hardy Reels”