Altex bail ... does this look right

The Hardy Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

Altex bail ... does this look right

Post by Keston »

Hi
Forgive my asking . I've not seen many Altex reels . Searching through images most bail arm look quite straight but some do look a bit canted over .
May I ask if this "Looks right " ?
Many thanks
John

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Altex bail ... does this look right

Post by Stour Otter »

Hello John.

The arm does look a little bent, although the positioning does look wrong. Please see my three Altex No. 2's, it should give you some idea of the correct position and location of flyer.

Altex bail arms.jpg
Regards
Stout Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

It looks like the bail arm is not shutting correctly,i.e the roller should be at 12 o clock instead of 1pm.
Perhaps the mechanism/latch in the spool housing is the problem?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thank you for the responses S.O. & Jardine .
To my unknowledgeable eye it seem ok inside the spool housing .
It does look the bail part that houses the roller is a bit skewed maybe ?

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Would it me possible John to loosen and revolve the bail arm plate to its correct position allowing you to re-bend its pick up bar.

S.O.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

It looks bent. How does the line lay on the spool? I would be very careful about straightening it.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks chaps .
I would be fearful of bending and shaping given my stays as a ham fisted buffoon . I worry I would do more harm than good .
I may send it back .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The main issue here is whether or not the bent bail arm is spoiling the line lay on the spool? If it isn't you might opt to leave it alone, but if the line is bunching forward on the spool the 1 o'clock position , as mentioned by Jardine, is the cause. Whack 20 yards on and see how it looks.....

Because the bail arm is stopped by a lug at the spring end*, not the line roller end, this can happen when the bail arm gets bent...and they very often do.

Simply re-straightening the bail; arm will put the line roller assembly back at 12 o'clock again. It does usually stand bending back again....I've done it half a dozen times and not yet had a breakage ( thank the Lord), but it's best done off the reel and that means taking off the screw that holds the bail arm and line roller on to the pivoting bracket.....this can be the very devil to shift and requires a bit of patience, but it does also enable you to turn the line roller if it has damage...and they nearly always do.

* The spring is under the pear-shaped cover.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Good suggestion to check the line lay chaps .
I started loading it with line and it was quickly apparent all is not well . The line was only loading in the bottom half of the spool .

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Ok so I've taken the spool off and it seems it wasn't seated right . The line now lays the full height off the spool but is very bottom heavy in a pyramid .
This reel makes a ticking noise on every rotation of the head . I think because the bail arm plate does not rotate down far enough (slight oval) as per Sofa surfers bottom image . The bail trip lever touches on the bail trip . If I put some folded tissue between the bail plate and trip arm them it holds the spring arm back so the trip clears and no sound . I think the whole bail arm and plate is a bit skewed .
ImageImage

Return to “Hardy Reels”