Hardy reel

The Hardy Reels forum.
Roachy
Bleak

Hardy reel

Post by Roachy »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Can anyone identify this reel for me please.It has a drum diameter of 2 5/8 inches.
Last edited by Roachy on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hardy reel

Post by Harry H »

Just had a look through my books and it looks to be a Perfect in the smallest size, it has early check mechanism pre 1905? The patent number.272409 if that's what it is related to the reel foot and the serations which line up with those on the handle to form a thread to secure the reel to the rod which is dated 1927.
The RB is the maker Robert Borthwick 1890- 1920.
Hope this helps but I'm by no means an expert but hopefully one will come along with any corrections that are required :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Nice reel, very collectable and great to use :-)

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Its a Hardy Houghton (a Perfect in a 2 5/8 size) The ribbed brass foot patent was 1927.

There were two sizes smaller, a very nice collectable reel.

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

Was the Houghton not a brass faced reel?
If Borthwick only worked for Hardy until 1920,how comes its got a 1927 patented reel foot on this?

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

The 2 5/8 perfect was called the Houghton after the Houghton club, it was in brass, brass faced and alloy.

Patent 272409 dated Jan 19th 1927 refers to the ribbed brass foot.

How come RB is on the reel? your guess is as good as mine.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Stef

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

My memory may fail me but isn't the Perfect the most copied/forged Hardy reel because of their high prices. The patina looks genuine, the foot might be a replacement.

It looks like a Houghton but there are no logos. John Mckenzie is the man to ask, he was a member here several years ago. He has a website.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

OK Ive had a good close look at the reel pictures and here is my opinion.

It could be just a simple replacement foot being fitted to the reel, the check looks like the 1905 check and the alloy looks early and fragile.

The handle is ivorine something I believe from memory was circa 1922, and it should have the Duplicated MK II check for the period.

This is not a forgery in my opinion just a replacement foot, look at the hole near the foot in picture 7

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

There could be any number of reasons for the later foot from being damaged to perhaps the buyer had a rod with the matching rod seat for which the serated foot was designed for. That size doesn't seem to have been so popular so also could have also been using up old stock. Whatever it is you have a nice find well done :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

I have added one more picture to the original post.Why oh why would someone put a file to this reel.Not sure what it would be worth in this condition?

Return to “Hardy Reels”