Altex reel use?

The Hardy Reels forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Altex reel use?

Post by Beresford »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:02 am My Altex is only two years old and in very good condition, how can rain hurt it? I've had Mitchell 300s for over 45 years and rain hasn't damaged them.
It'll take me ages to find the posts from Nobby about the effects of the ingress of water to a fixed spool reel and the process he goes through if this happens. Neither reels are sealed units and I'll defer to his greater knowledge. Perhaps he'll read this and explain.

(A quick search suggests that the corrosion issue effects later production 300s that suffer due to the different metals reacting against each other and causing the issue.)
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

A couple of years ago I attended the “Cane and Pin” match organised by Mal (Ashby Cut). At the prize draw afterwards I won a Hardy Altex Mk2 v5. The prize donor remained a mystery.

This has now become my go to reel when a fixed spool reel is required (other than out and out carp fishing) and has all but replaced my much loved Mitchell Ottomatic. I love the way it compliments my cane rods, especially an early B James whole cane butt Avocet.

I post pictures in my journal with the reel as I think this is the best way to thank my mysterious benefactor.

Yes, definitely use not store :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Lovely photo...keep the faith!

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i think the water damage is a modern phenomenon ,brought about by acid rain ,we've become accustomed to it and hardly ever notice it ,but it eats away at paint ,and stains the alloy metals ,it can if it seeps in attack the ferrous parts causing rust .all reels should be wiped down after use .other wise the wetness after being in the rain if left will even if it looks dry slowly eat away at paint etc if not neutralized ,it might be extremely diluted form of acid but still enough to eventually cause damage.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Chavender wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:05 am i think the water damage is a modern phenomenon ,brought about by acid rain ,we've become accustomed to it and hardly ever notice it ,but it eats away at paint ,and stains the alloy metals ,it can if it seeps in attack the ferrous parts causing rust .all reels should be wiped down after use .other wise the wetness after being in the rain if left will even if it looks dry slowly eat away at paint etc if not neutralized ,it might be extremely diluted form of acid but still enough to eventually cause damage.
This is something which I too have pondered on more than once-and thank you Chavender for bringing it to our attention. :Hat:
With more and more pollutants and acids going in to our atmosphere and waterways, who knows what damage rain will cause if just left to dry on tackle?

Personally, I have always made sure that the rod and reel was dried before putting away, but for the last two years or so, I have taken to wiping the rod down with a sponge and warm, soapy water before drying off; reel and line also.

Apologies for going off topic..Yes do use your Altex..for everything! They were made to be used and enjoyed!
wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I too have one... it gets usedquite regularly... I can't see the point in not using it... In fact it'll be used this week on a little River Pant Weirpool :Hat: :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Hardy Reels”