Altex tension unit and locking screw!

The Hardy Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Altex tension unit and locking screw!

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
I was wondering if anyone has come across the following Altex tension unit set up?
Let me attempt to explain (I did try to attach a photo, but file too large). I recently purchased a couple of Altex's through the extremely helpful and honest Paul F from the estate of tackle he is kindly selling, along with a box a Hardy spares. After conversations with the ever helpful Nobby regarding covers, springs, spring washers, bail arms, etc, along with degreasing and fettling, both reels are perfectly useable.
Part of the chat I was having with Nobby was regarding single spring washers and double helix ones. Having examples of both, I was of the opinion that the single one gave more and subtle clutch adjustment and the double less so (both fitted with cleaned and correct washer sequence). I also referred to a previous TFF post regarding the washers and springs (thank you).
However, rummaging in the spares box, I realised there was another / different tension unit and locking screw. This tension unit (capstan) only has one, shorter 'arm' as oppose to the standard 4 and the neck is 'shallower' allowing the whole unit to offer more space for the spring in comparison to the standard. The locking screw is also completely different to the standard. All beautifully made of brass. The point is that this set up allows the double helix washer the same amount of adjustment, (and subtlety of tensioning), as the standard set up when that is fitted with the single spring. All works beautifully.
So, if all the above makes sense, I was wondering has anyone come across this, is it standard(ish) (but I haven't come across it before), is it a Hardy alteration to accommodate the bigger double helix spring (a brand new one of these was in the spares box / I have another boxed nr mint Altex with a single spring), is it part of the answer that is the Greek mythological torture that is Altex ownership (or does that only apply to Ambidex ownership!)?
Cat

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Altex tension unit and locking screw!

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think the tension nut with one arm that you mention, is possibly from a hardex reel.

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Ah...that could be the answer! Fits perfectly, and definitely improves the clutch. Thanks for your reply.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

You are correct Wallys-Cast. Looked it up and that looks exactly the same.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh, that's handy I thought...then I remembered that the Hardex is even rarer..... :-(

Return to “Hardy Reels”