unknown

The Mordex Reels forum.
Gord
Crucian Carp

unknown

Post by Gord »

has any body an idea who made this reel, i am not sure if its an original reel or one thats been cobbled together but i think its usable may be not for trotting but i will find a use for it. any comments are welcome

when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: unknown

Post by Luga00 »

I believe that is a Mordex Major.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Looks like a 'Major' that's been modified because the boss broke (which they often did, I understand). The original was a true centrepin with a plastic boss and adjusting screw ... unless they did another version.

http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/426/Re ... 7KEkrHyByI
Last edited by AshbyCut on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

that might be a good shout it was that colour a brown/black i new i had seen it some where

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

do you think it possible to return it back to a true pin or not worth the trouble

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's a Mordex Metoer and was never a 'true' pin, but had a braking knob to slow the spool.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:It's a Mordex Metoer and was never a 'true' pin, but had a braking knob to slow the spool.
On that link I attached, if you scroll down to the Meteor you'll see the ventilation holes on Gurn's spool is definitely Major and not Meteor (8 holes as opposed to 18). Perhaps it's a Major spool on a Meteor body ?
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It has a hollow threaded spindle for the braking screw AC. There were several models of Meteor, the earliest having a pressed steel body rather than a cast one.

The Yuku link you provided goes to Chavender's site...his site shows such an early, pressed reel body, whereas I'd guess Gurns is a later model as you can see it has a cast body. Just guessing, I'd say the spool design was changed too, possibly to simplify the production line. If you look at the Yuku one again very closely you can just make out the three screws, almost completely hodden by a friction washer that seems to be lost from Gurn's reel.

Gurns reel even has the rivetted bracket to hold a line guard, though it looks to have been cut off?

I'd say there is some internal difference to the check mechanism too as Gurn's and Chavender's have differing positions of the three rivets that hold the operating mechanism.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

i think you are both right the drum is a major and the back is a meteor although there is a different configuration of the rivets on the back plate but it is more like a meteor back than the other 2 also no fixing for a line guard,any way may be useful for ledgering with so al is not lost

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

do you know i never noticed that fixing for the line guard mind you i am just getting over an eye operation thats my excuse any way,my previous post crossed yours in posting

Return to “Mordex Reels”