When it comes to Mordexes.....

The Mordex Reels forum.
Evert van der Plas
Perch

Re: When it comes to Mordexes.....

Post by Evert van der Plas »

It will come but i have to finish a Mordex Merlin first it must go back to England. And at the moment i am also working on The Ambidex de luxe and a traditional landing net lol. but the first to come is the Mentor

Evert van der Plas
Perch

I remove the paint with a sharp thin knife, just scrape it of gently after that i sanding the parts with very fine sanding paper P1200 - P 1800 it is more polishing then sanding, it leaves no scratches. when the reel is clean i first polish the brass and steel parts that can not be removed and use some metal primer for the first layer, with a small flat soft paintbrush. when dry i set the first color layer on the reel with the brush or spray, it is depending on what kind off reel it is. for the centrepin reels i use most of the time a good quality paint - spray be course i have to paint behind the spokes. the spokes will all be taped and will be stay free off paint.
the most of the casting reels i paint with a brush.

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

Image Image I was lead to believe that this was manufactured by mordex.I stripped off the tatty grey paint and polished it a couple of years ago and it has stayed quite shiny. Fishes pretty good as well

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

SparrowHawk wrote:Image Image I was lead to believe that this was manufactured by mordex.I stripped off the tatty grey paint and polished it a couple of years ago and it has stayed quite shiny. Fishes pretty good as well
That look,s more like an Allcock,s

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

To be fair it did have a tiny alcock label stuck on it but it looked dodgy.what model would it be then?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

SparrowHawk wrote:To be fair it did have a tiny alcock label stuck on it but it looked dodgy.what model would it be then?
Possible Black Knight or Sea Knight

Have a look here

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 79&t=13650

And here

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11469&start=10

Evert van der Plas
Perch

This is a Allcocks reel for sure
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

Looks like I've managed to turn a black knight into a silver knight!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

SparrowHawk wrote:Looks like I've managed to turn a black knight into a silver knight!
As the Stones once said

Paint It Black :Thumb:

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

It is now possible to obtain replacement front caps for Mordex reels. They are manufactured by a German company called Vosseler http://www.vosseler.com/index.php?id=vo ... ishing&L=1 and are manufactured in brass.
VOSSELERspare MordexCenterpinCap (200x150).jpg
They are 5,95 EUR a piece plus shipping (4,95 EUR). and enquiries can be made at Vosseler Sales e-mail sales@vosseler.com I have put in an order and am hoping that, German engineering being what it is, they will fit and do the job perfectly. Why a manufacturer of fly reels in Germany is making a front cap for a reel made by a now defunct Sheffield manufacturing firm is beyond me but stranger things have happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Return to “Mordex Reels”