Can anyone identify this reel ?

The Mordex Reels forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Can anyone identify this reel ?

Post by Ljm183 »

Does anyone recognise the maker ? , it,s got no makers name or any other markings, it,s 4 3/8" dia, 7/8" wide spool

Thanks. Lee.

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Re: Can anyone identify this reel ?

Post by AndyPop »

Mmmm, could be a Mordex , possibly a "Major". The check set-up looks similar, & I'm sure I once had one myself.
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

andypop wrote:Mmmm, could be a Mordex , possibly a "Major". The check set-up looks similar, & I'm sure I once had one myself.
I thought a Mordex, same colour , but all the Mordex reels i have seen have the ratchet switch on the back plate not on the rim, and a small round indent where the makers sticker went

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I can't get your image to open, but the early Mordexes were pressed metal back swith a side lever.

Image has opened now..Yup, that's a Mordex alright.

Actually, you can clearly see it's NOT a pressed metal back, my mistake, but a lot lighter than the later one.

Chavender has a few of these.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

yes early mordex ,major probably ,the earlier models had the smooth backs with side lever and round plastic handles ,later models had the heavier dimpled backs and trialobed handles ,not built with the best grade of materials the pressed alloy spools and the poor centre caps that are prone to splitting and if the screws are prone to making them warp and the heigt adjustment /end float be wrong .i prefer these earlier models because of the side lever ,they look great with the paint stripped and polished up ,the thin pressed alloy is easily bent though even with just thumb pressure .if you cant polish out the water marks then a respray will be needed .

nice reels that does the job ,but average nothing more ,nothing less .in fact these are the benchmark for average .they spin really well .a bit heavy perhaps to hold all-day and the thin alloy spools & the plastic parts are its weakness and what stops it being a great reel .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Yup. Definitely a Major. An excellent barbel fishing reel.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “Mordex Reels”