Chub

Re: Mordex Black Seal rod

Post by Woolly Bear »

:snooty: W B :Tongue:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I've just been and measured the ferrules and after looking at the list I'm a bit confused.

http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/produc ... tegory/217

BRASS FERRULE FEMALE ID 8.0MM MALE ID7.5MM [FSS-8.0] 3-5 working days £3.55

BRASS FERRULE FEMALE ID 8.5MM MALE ID7.8MM [FSS-8.5] 3-5 working days £3.55

BRASS FERRULE FEMALE ID 9.0MM MALE ID8.5MM [FSS-9.0] 3-5 working days £3.55

Above is their list to order from, now I've measured mine, the male on the tip section is 8.2mm and so is the inner diameter of the female ferrule on the top of the mid section= 8.2mm. They haven't got the exact size so do I go for the nearest size above?......ie......8.5mm female for top of the mid section which means the male for the tip section is smaller than the one on it now, they give 7.8mm and my one on it now is 8.2mm.

Help Please. :surrender:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I have the page open and am ready to order my ferrules but one last thing. Does anybody know if they come as a pair from H and H? it seems obvious that they do but just wanted to check before I hit that button.

Urgent replies needed please chaps, like i said the page is open and I'm ready to order.

Many thanks in advance. :Hat:

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, if you read the text they give dimensions for both male and female.

That said......the quality isn't great and it's getting worse. The last two sets I've bought have been decidely poor with rough finishes inside that soon scratch the chrome and even too tight to use or too lose to stay together! And the reinforcing ring is just a push-fit...no braze and .....it slipped :Angry:

There's no middle of the road ferrules, is there?

It's either these cheapies or pay a fortune. OK when they were first imported to the UK but the quality just isn't always there now.

Took two days to arrive as well...yet they still charge as though it were Next Day Signed For. A lot of complaints about H&H of late....

And the males are too short and muck up the rod length if you're not careful.

grumble, grumble, grumble.....

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Nobby wrote:Yes, if you read the text they give dimensions for both male and female.

That said......the quality isn't great and it's getting worse. The last two sets I've bought have been decidely poor with rough finishes inside that soon scratch the chrome and even too tight to use or too lose to stay together! And the reinforcing ring is just a push-fit...no braze and .....it slipped :Angry:

There's no middle of the road ferrules, is there?

It's either these cheapies or pay a fortune. OK when they were first imported to the UK but the quality just isn't always there now.

Took two days to arrive as well...yet they still charge as though it were Next Day Signed For. A lot of complaints about H&H of late....

And the males are too short and muck up the rod length if you're not careful.

grumble, grumble, grumble.....
I knew it was for a pair really, I suppose it was me just being sure before hitting the "Checkout" button and spending yet more money and to be honest £3.49 or whatever price they were is decidedly cheap for something made of metal these days.

Thanks for the heads up on H & H's service and on the ferrules Nobby. If it does scratch my rod I'll be straight on the phone to them. The amount of time we put into our restorations we don't want them ruined by cheap tat.

Izaak Walton

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I purchased Ferrules from Olivers for my Fields carp rod that I restored. They were not cheap but the quality was superb. What I liked was the fact that I could send them my old ferrules and they matched them up for me, I also purchased a stopper from them as well. very nice people to deal with. :Hat: Reedling.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, I bought a set from Ted Oliver for a new build....utterly perfect, ready-blued and took just 5 minutes to lap in.

Actually there IS an alternative to Ted Oliver ( £20-25 a pair ) and H&H cheapies at £4-5 a pair.

Angler's Supplies in Cardiff have lots of old Marco stock and charge about £5 a set for reinforced and serrated ferrules. However, they list them wrongly on eBay, description-wise and give the size of the inside of the male...which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. If you assume that butt ferrule metal is half a millimetre thick and tip ferrule metal a quarter of a mill thick you'll probably get what you want though......

Daft really...it's old stock...made in Imperial sizes.....you should be able to get an exact match if they just measure them in the right place and in the right guage....not that I can think in 64ths of an inch any more if I'm frank.

However, those old Marco ones can take 40 miniutes to lap in.......they are far too tight as is.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Well, I bought the cheapies at £4-5 a pair and fitted them yesterday. I allowed the epoxy to dry for a few hours last night and then after returning from a walk with my wife and the dogs, I had a waggle. I really like the feels of this rod, it seems to have a lovely progressive action.
Mine had delamination to the tip section and i could hear creaking and cracking as I bent it but I've sorted it out now, thanks to Gorilla glue and wrapping tightly with nylon string.
I'm hoping to use it tomorrow for the first time as I go after some Wild carp up at LlynGwyn, I'll let you know how it performs and hopefully take a few photos.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll do a complete restoration or just touch the whipping up with some more claret and then give it a re-varnish. I'm still whipping that A E Rudge rod with it's 60 intermediates, aren't they flippin annoying. I'd hate to restore a MK IV. :hairpull:

Thanks for the help over the Ferrules Nobby and co, they might have been cheap but they fitted perfectly and there's no knocking. So, I give you my thanks on a good recommendation. Also H and H had them here in 4 working days so not too bad a service this time.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Glad it's all worked out.

You could always do the rod to fish with now, and do something more with it if it becomes a favourite next Winter. Always good to have a Winter project to while away the short days and think of fishing again soon....

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I have just had some H&H ferrules put on my Floatcaster, by professor Nobby and for their price I think they are great. I thought the chrome was a bit non-trad so considered a number of options; scrape off the chrome and apply brass black, apply black varnish but finally went for an easier option. Found a tin of Hammerite black metal paint in the garage so slapped on two coats and dulled down with some careful buffing with brasso/wire wool and I quite like the end result, as you can see:-

Now waiting for Pipers Silks to deliver some thread and I can finish, they are not the fastest are they !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Return to “Mordex Cane Rods”