Dam reels

The DAM Reels forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Dam reels

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi I met Bob at Redditch today and we had a chat about the vintage Dam reels he owns and one I would like to get my hands on .. The one thing I forgot to ask was what model I should look out for to handle carp to
high doubles .. Over to you Bob cheers

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Dam reels

Post by Bob Brookes »

The size I would go for would be the 280 or 330. They are of a similar size, the 330 superseded in the early 60's. The 280 has a spinner to hold the spool on and the 330 has a push button release. The choice is personal but I go for the 280 from the late 50's. Both have strong metal spools and an excellent clutch.

If you get hold of a nice DAM Quick Finessa 280 I am sure you would not be disappointed.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Check out this excellent site for some useful information in 'sexing' these reels!
http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There's a 330N early version on eBay right now.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

But £40 postage !!

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Heavens!! :x
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Unusually the first fixed spool reel I owned was a DAM Quick Spinnfix 225/II; this would be around 1959. It was a present from my brother who was stationed in Germany at the time. I also received a Dam spinning travel rod, I seem to recall it was a five piece rod. It was a very good combination and very easy to transport on my bicycle when heading off to fish the local waters. The reel was quite nicely made with a light blue hammered paint finish and red plastic handle and clutch knob. It was much better quality than the Intrepid reels which I later owned. After much use the return spring broke and not knowing how to get it repaired it fell into disuse eventually to be thrown away.

http://www.saschas-sammler-homepage.de/ ... 225-2.html
Last edited by Phil Arnott on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

The DAM 330 has been the most common reel in Germany. Like the Mitchell 300 has been in Britain. They are very good reels indeed. The clutch is much better than on most of the modern reels. And they go fairly cheap on ebay.de. If the seller doesn't offer shipping to the UK, ask if they make an exception. Most Germans speak at least a little bit English. If not, I could help to translate anytime. Just pm me.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

With mark setting up a DAM reel section I just realised I do currently own a DAM reel. The one below. I'd always been intrigued by this reel and came across one a while back.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Ye Gods, I didn't realise Prince fished!

Return to “DAM Reels”