DAM Quick 250

The DAM Reels forum.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

DAM Quick 250

Post by Wagtail »

A friend who knows how much I like vintage fishing gear has recently given me some bits of vintage tackle on the promise that I won’t sell them. No problem there :Sun:

Included was this reel, which I recognised as being an old DAM ‘Quick’ in the early design that I’ve liked the look of since seeing one on Google images. To my eyes the style is somewhere between ‘Heavy Industry’ and ‘Steam Punk’ and I could just imagine Flash Gordon using one – after he had moved on from Harrington’s ‘Le Omnia’ of course :shocked: Aesthetically it is perhaps not to everyone’s taste, but I love it :Cool:
I’ve done a bit of researching on the internet and (so far as I can be sure) it is a DAM Quick 250 model 50/51. There is no serial number on the foot - which in conjunction with the other details of black and grey colour, anti-reverse system and full bail-arm - all lead me to believe it dates from 1950. As and when I can get more info on the reel I will add to this post :read: :holmes:

The good news is that, as you can see below, it isn’t in bad condition cosmetically and although not in the pictures it still has both shallow and deep spools as originally supplied. On the down side the line roller is a bit rusty but I think that will clean up, and also the screw that covers the lubrication port is missing.

The big disaster for me is that the original handle is completely missing........

.......and yes, that is an Intrepid (Elite?) handle badly bodged onto it :hairpull: The reel works fine apart from the handle which will turn loosely for 180 degrees forwards / backwards before affecting the rest of the reel.

As it stands I can’t fish with it but I REALLY want to give this reel a go after some carp :fishing1:

So - it’s a bit of a long shot but can anyone help me with a replacement handle and port screw, or even another reel that I can use for parts? If you can help in any way, please PM me to sort your payment requirements etc. :Beg:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Stingray
Grayling

Re: DAM Quick 250

Post by Stingray »

Great reel ! (I love old DAMs).

This guy, Sascha Gemeinder, seems to be the best DAM resource on the Web - all in German unfortunately but I've had some contact with him (with some pigeon-German assistance from Google Translate) - he emailed me some useful info once. If nothing else this should be a valuable source of info for you -

http://www.saschas-sammler-homepage.de/rollendam3.html

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Might be a really good hint. Ask him about the threading. If he knows I can maybe help you to find a replacement handle. Not original but it would make your reel a user hopefully assuming that your threading is still not damaged.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Well I think it looks great! As you say, very 'Steam Punk'. Hope you find a handle for it, it'd be a shame not to fish with it.. :cheers:

Return to “DAM Reels”