DAM Quick 440N

The DAM Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: DAM Quick 440N

Post by Nobby »

DAM reels were listed in the UK, I think it was by Lee Products and Milbro, but they just didn't sell for some reason.

There's not much you can do to improve them, perhaps a bit of polishing here and there, maybe quieten down the anti-reverse clicker a bit.

I've put some images of the similar 330N here:

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/nobby4 ... t=4&page=1

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Nobby wrote:DAM reels were listed in the UK, I think it was by Lee Products and Milbro, but they just didn't sell for some reason.

There's not much you can do to improve them, perhaps a bit of polishing here and there, maybe quieten down the anti-reverse clicker a bit.

May I ask you Nobby to post this description with the schematics of the spool? This may help others to achieve the proper line lay. I also think, the assembly I have shown from the reel that goes off to a member here soon, is slightly wrong then. Are there more schematics in that book you own? Would be really nice if you could post this here. By chance: Do you own the same for the older series without "N"?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Jeff Smith wrote:Brilliant Chris-many thanks. You should also have a fibre 'hex' washer under the spool. There is a recess for it.My drag stack looks to be complete so I will copy the fibre washers in carbon sheet and grease them up with some Cal's. The only part I have missing is the chrome cover on the drag knob. But this doesn't seem to affect how well it works. Apparently the drags on these reels can work quite well for their age if tricked up in this way.
Conglomerate?? Not with you mate.
Hi Jeff.
You are most probably right. There is such a hex washer but it was very so tight, I thought it belongs to the spool :Hat:

I am glad that it is complete. The new owner will be very pleased!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't have this reel or booklet, it was just with me to service it before it was gifted to the forum by Paddex. It went to Loop Erimder initially, but I don't know who currently has it.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Maybe the current owner might be able to share this with us. I do have the book for the 330. I will scan and post it when time allows.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Nobby wrote:DAM reels were listed in the UK, I think it was by Lee Products and Milbro, but they just didn't sell for some reason.

As a high quality manufacturer with a limit on their production capacity they understandably chose to concentrate on their thriving home and US markets rather than countries where take-up was proving slow. By the late 70s, however, they had some skirted spool reels coming in from the far east and these were even appearing in UK Burlington and Kays home catalogues but even those seem scarce in the UK today which may prove that the DAM brand just never made an impact here - until today, of course, when many of we vintage tackle fans love them but can only envy their availability to US and German anglers.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

I can provide some 330's in nice order to TFF members now. See
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=17475

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

If it's any consolation I hear that German anglers find it quite hard to get hold of Intrepids :cheers: .

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Never tried one. If there is some gain from my DAM's then maybe I will search for one ;)

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

Nice pics and very useful-thanks for posting. One modification I intend to try out, is to replace the bail arm with a manual pick up roller. I have a huge example that is designed for Mitchell 306 (PUM) and it looks like it'll fit the D.A.M, and be of the correct height. I may have to slightly shim the spool height and add a collar to prevent the roller holder from turning but Its likely than no permanent alterations will be needed to the rotor and the reel could easily be returned to original spec if required.
in my honest opinion the bail arm and tungsten carbide line guide might be a weak point on these reels anyway. For use in the surf for bass, it will certainly be a worthwhile mod.

Return to “DAM Reels”