DAM Quick reels

The DAM Reels forum.
Wandler

DAM Quick reels

Post by Wandler »

Does anyone have any views / information on 'DAM Quick' fixed spool reels?

I am waiting for a 330n to arrive and I have no idea what to expect other than that they are supposed to be fairly heavily built. I know they are German reels with a fairly long heritage.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: DAM Quick reels

Post by Nobby »

Andy B posted this a while back...says they are very strong and built to last:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6109&p=84835&hilit ... eel#p84835

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Thanks for that heads-up Nobby! Interesting comparisons between the DAMs and the Mitchells.

I got two reels through the post today. An Allcock's Kasteasy and a DAM 330n. They are as different as night and day. The Kasteasy is a spindly little aluminium thing but quite cute really whereas the DAM is a really chunky bit of steel gear. Very, very smooth and everything clicks into place. Echte Deutsche Wertarbeit! Real German quality!

Next thing is to try and date them both.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I can't help with the Dam reel, but the Kasteasy wasn't offered for very long so I'll see what I can find out for you.

edit: Well it's in the Allcocks Guides from 1959 until 1963. It's not in the '65 Guide having been replaced by American reels....the start of the rot and the take-over!

It might pre-date '59, but is not in the '56 Guide. In 1957 and '58 only trade catalogues were issued and I don't have those.

Incidentely, the first Guide entry says it works with as little as 25 yards of line on it. All subsequent Guide entries add the information that putting more than 50 yards of line on is not recommended.

I'd have thought the spool would take more than 50 yards so there must be an 'issue' with it. Be cautious with that first cast......

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Actually the more I look at the Kasteasy the more I appreciate that it is a very simple but really elegant design. It is like a piece of PWD designed furniture

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Nobby wrote:I can't help with the Dam reel ...
well, maybe I can, growing up in (West-) Berlin, you could not avoid knowing them - I even knew the old factory in Berlin Wedding
everybody used them here in the 50s, 60s, and still in the 70s and 80s, where the N-models are from
built between 74 and beginning of the 80s (84 I think), the N-series are my favourite reels from all Quick Finessa
the 330 N is the most popular size, my favourite is the smaller 220 N, between the Mitchell 308 and the 300
I just scanned the handbook, 20 pages - its in deutsch - englisch - französisch, exploded drawings, parts list and all, you find everything you need
I scanned it as .pdf-file, very good quality, but unfortunately it's 40 MB, but I might make it smaller
maybe there is a website where I could upload it? I know a bit about computers, but there are limits.

I know it's heresy here, but in my eyes the quality of Mitchell reels can't hold a candle to the DAM Quick Finessas from '70 to '80. :Scared:

you can improve your german and french with this booklet
thats how I learned english :Hat:
DAM Quick Finessa 110 N - 550 N.jpg
DAM Quick Finessa 110 N - 550 N - 22.jpg
DAM Quick Finessa 110 N - 550 N - 24.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Hi Paddex,

I have sent you a PM.

My spoken / reading German is pretty good. I lived in Germany for five years, met my wife and married there! I am very much out of practice with writing German though.

Judging by the high quality of your written English fishing reel catalogues must be pretty good teaching materials!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Nice post Paddex, and most generous of you to share the images.

Veilen Dank!

( probably wrong, I'm only good with German menus and beer lists )

Always the best way to learn a new language...eat it and drink it!

And I agree with Wandler, ... your English is excellent.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

Nobby wrote: Veilen Dank!
Always the best way to learn a new language...eat it and drink it!
Vielen Dank für die Komplimente :Hat:

but may I quote and agree with my former Paris colleague: The best way to learn a new language is on the pillow :Cool:

Here are the N-series pages from the '75 DAM catalogue and a good reference website is this collectors site:

http://www.saschas-sammler-homepage.de/rollendam3.html
DAM cat 75-1.jpg
DAM cat 75-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

So they used an odd number to indicate a left-handed reel just like Mitchell? That's a useful bit of information.

I like the wrinkle-finish paint....sort of reminds me of a microscope or other precision instrument.

Return to “DAM Reels”