Romsey Vintage & Second-hand Tackle Fair

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: Romsey Vintage & Second-hand Tackle Fair

Post by Chubman »

i managed to resist temptation over all the tackle trinkets for sale today, but as i have champane tastes and beer money i still enjoyed the morning, met some old friends, bought 3 prints of barbel ,roach and chub for the man cave and manage to bring a friend over from the dark side to purchase his first cane rod, (the first of many i hope) garry mills kindly fixed my end float grub screw problem on a old millwards pin as well so i enjoyed the day with some like minded guys

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Chubman wrote:i managed to resist temptation over all the tackle trinkets for sale today, but as i have champane tastes and beer money i still enjoyed the morning, met some old friends, bought 3 prints of barbel ,roach and chub for the man cave and manage to bring a friend over from the dark side to purchase his first cane rod, (the first of many i hope) garry mills kindly fixed my end float grub screw problem on a old millwards pin as well so i enjoyed the day with some like minded guys
Glad that you got sorted regarding a first rod for your friend, the Super Wizard that you were discussing eventually went to "Germany" but as I have said previously it was a great day and a pleasure to see some TFF stalwarts!

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

sorry ted ,we were coming back to buy the wizard when we saw you extracting pound notes from our german friends wallet, but i managed to find my friend a nice carp rod,now he wants a andrew j davis rod, so i think ive won him over to our way of fishing with style and taste

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I was tempted by that Super Wizard.... Alas the wife was with me at the time :Scared:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Sorry Bluelabel, owing to my deteriorating brain you were one of the blanks that I mentioned earlier! I am so pleased that a number of TFF members turned up. Long may the forum and the interest continue! Redditch her we come!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

ive never been to redditch ted, as its a long trip for me, is it a bigger fair than romsey?

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Lea Dweller wrote:In my haste to post the news about my Mitchell serial numbers being so close, I forgot to say I met and spoke to several TFF members, you know who you are, but from my bad memory, Michael, Nobby, Chubman, blank, blank, blank, blank, but thank you all for contributing to my day!
The pleasure was mine Ted, the Gamages Flick`em is a cracker...... We both had a cracking day, funnily enough I had a visit from the chap who bought the other Flick`em from you....a very successful visit!.....
I also had Nobby & JAA stalling behind me, so cake and nibbles on tap!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Hope you got some of the wife's chocolate Tiffin Ted :Cool:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Bluelabel wrote:Hope you got some of the wife's chocolate Tiffin Ted :Cool:
I didn't have that pleasure, but if my son (who was with me at my table) had seen it, not much chocolate tiffin would have survived!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah, our Bluelabel on here here must be Arthur2sheds on The Path....he's posh he's got two sheds........

The blood-sugar elevating Tiffin was very well received indeed and has already been mentioned on the other forum, but I had to be careful to whom I offered it as a good few of us are diabetic. It went extraordinarily well with a cup of tea. :Hat: I took the last two pieces home and Wifey had scoffed them both before I could get the kettle on!

Romsey is going through a bit of a quiet patch compared to Redditch. Not so many stallholders and therefore not so many visitors, no rod-makers, only one float maker ( I left mine at home) but still some great tackle to look at even if the prices are rather high these days. I thought they'd come down but not so.

As usual a lot of my stock went to other dealers who demanded a huge discount so that they sell on at a profit.......I acquiesced rather than risk taking it all home again, but I do have some nice Mitchells, a lovelt R.Sealey's Rapid-Strike and an Aspindale 'kit' to finish off left over.
If it hadn't have been for those three German chaps ( in a van! ....always a good sign) it might not have been such a great fair. Vielen Dank fellers!!
Bless them, whilst the public were sneaking in for a preview before doors officially opened at 9am, being German they politely waited patiently outside for 2 hours..... We were all that well behaved once.....

An awful lot of our old tackle is going to Germany in recent years. I'm not sure if I should worry about that.....

Redditch is generally a far bigger affair these days and might be thought of as where the 'big boys' go. There are rodmakers, reelmakers, floatmakers and net makers. There are seriously knowledgeable collectors and authors.

It's a long way for me too...too far to go there and back in a single day, so I combine it with a fishing trip with pals on the Saturday and a curry and beer the night before....a McDonalds for breakfast in the morning and a cheeseburger for lunch before the long drive home and I'm a happy bunny.

Of late we've been fishing at Lemington Lakes and driving on to the Travelodge motel in Alcester which has a McDonalds next to it and is only a 20 minute walk into town for fine curry and ale. We did once try the Redditch Premier Inn, but the pub and restaurant attached was pretty dire.......

Booking either very last minute or very early on when the Fair date is announced is the way to get a cheap room.

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”