The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 19th November 2017

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: The National Vintage Fishing Tackle Fair - Sunday 19th November 2017

Post by Beresford »

Great to read so many happy reports.

Looking through the various images to try to get an impression of the day my uninformed view suggests that there were more glass rods for sale than cane. Was that the case? I've not been to Redditch for many years and the only thing I really want to add to my collection now is other cane rods. What did I miss out on this time?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

There were a lot of fibre glass rods at Redditch yesterday, there certainly seems to be a growing market for them in Germany. Having said that, there were hundreds of cane rods at all prices in all kinds of condition, so if you could not find one to suit you, you would have been hard to please! I think that the reason that fibreglass is becoming popular again is that they go back to the sixties and require little maintenance, they are light and they are inexpensive. Many people that wish to return to their youth by using vintage or traditional tackle, particularly rods, can satisfy this wish by buying fibre glass. Cane is wonderful, but it does come with a higher price tag!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I suppose trends may be changing as is the way with Antiques and collectables, 1950/60's items are being sought after whilst old brown furniture and high Victorian ceramics are on a plateau or sliding at present. High value, rare and original condition items can and do hold their own of course but it is the items of our near past that are being highly sought after. Personally it is cane rods for my use but can see why anglers have a soft spot for glass etc, traditional is a state of mind not just a personal possession.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm It was great to attend Redditch today, back to the original venue that I remember from a few years ago. Both myself and John (Fredline) found it hard going although our prices were fair. I managed to find several of the alloy "Reynolds" reels that Wal is fond of and he presented me with three lovely floats which I will treasure, the wound paper examples are particularly wonderful, thank you Wal I managed to sell several rods to some regular visitors from Germany and a last gasp flurry of other sales saved the day! Thank you everyone that stopped to say hello, it was a pleasure to see you! After getting up at three this morning, I am off to bed tired but happy!
Thanks for asking the other sellers to put the reels on hold for me Ted, it was very much appreciated and great meeting up with you again, looking forward to next year.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:48 pm It was great to attend Redditch today, back to the original venue that I remember from a few years ago. Both myself and John (Fredline) found it hard going although our prices were fair. I managed to find several of the alloy "Reynolds" reels that Wal is fond of and he presented me with three lovely floats which I will treasure, the wound paper examples are particularly wonderful, thank you Wal I managed to sell several rods to some regular visitors from Germany and a last gasp flurry of other sales saved the day! Thank you everyone that stopped to say hello, it was a pleasure to see you! After getting up at three this morning, I am off to bed tired but happy!
Thanks for asking the other sellers to put the reels on hold for me Ted, it was very much appreciated and great meeting up with you again, looking forward to next year.

Wal.
I was happy to help Wal, they are such nice reels I knew that you would like them, here's to our next meeting!

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

As usual I very much enjoyed the day 'stalling out' with Lucky Luca. It was nice to meet and say hello to several forum members, and to almost meet others (Wal, if I'd known it was you talking to Lucky Luca I'd have said hello!).

Anyway, I've already booked for May 13th next year and hopefully will see you all again there :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Wagtail wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 pm As usual I very much enjoyed the day 'stalling out' with Lucky Luca. It was nice to meet and say hello to several forum members, and to almost meet others (Wal, if I'd known it was you talking to Lucky Luca I'd have said hello!).

Anyway, I've already booked for May 13th next year and hopefully will see you all again there :Hat:
Hope to see you there in May Alex and we can have a good old chin wag.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

What a brilliant day it was, I think it was the best one yet as it seemed easier to get about and chat without feeling hemmed in, maybe the isles were a bit wider.
It was great meeting up with friends old and new and isn't it wonderful putting faces to so many familiar TFF names.

Our wonderful Honorary Vice President, Malcolm Baird aka AshbyCut was there and on fine form. It was lovely seeing you again Mal and I think you must have been absolutely worn to a frazzle by the time you managed to get home.

I even came away with a lovely bottle of falling down water courtesy of Dave Burr, thanks again Dave, great meeting up with you again.

I bought a couple of nice reels for my collection thanks to more than a little help from Lea Dweller thanks again Ted and thanks again to Steve LuckLuca for the reel. Looking forward to getting a day out together Steve, I'll be in touch about the rod as it progresses..

I really owe great debt of gratitude to my friends Bob Brookes and his truly wonderful wife Glenda for a fantastic weekends stay at "Brookside Guest House" :Chuckle: and for another days guided fishing by Bob which resulted in my first ever Zander and a really angry Pike, the results of which are me and Bob are now blood brothers. :Hahaha:
ImageImage

Here's the Master at work touch ledgering for Zander, what a guy..

I know I have missed a lot of names out from Sunday but I would like to thank you all and all those involved in making it what it has become.

Amazing wit and wisdom flows around Redditch tackle fair and for anyone who has not been, it really has to be experienced.

Thanks for reading.
Wal.

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

I had a great meet, bought nothing off the tables but thats about the norm for me these day, no one took bitcoins except the bacon butty van, really tasty.

I did see some fine items of tackle but just after a friend had purchased them and its possible that I might be able to acquire them later.

I am looking to buy a casting rod to attempt to try and break Percy Wadhams World Casting Record established in 1910 but suitable items were just two expensive considering that it will be only used for one day.

Bob Brookes was looking exceedingly suave and did give me some useful information on leather bound book.

Nice to meet so many people.

I have started an Instagram account to post images

www.instagram.com/stefanduma1

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I do have to offer one apology for the day. Bob Brookes' lovely Glenda was buying the coffees and asked what I wanted. I talker her into asking for a 'black cappuccino' which amused me a hell of a lot but which fell on stoney ground with the rather busy tea van owner :Scared:

Sorry Glenda and tea man...... but I still thinks it's funny :Happy:

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”