First time at Romsey

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: First time at Romsey

Post by Paul F »

Beresford wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:27 pm
Paul F wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:56 am
Beresford wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:14 am I've had a look at the catalogue for the auction and there appears to be at least two if not three 'top end of the market' rods (with price tags to match) that were recently listed as sold by a dealer but that are now in this sale. Not sure what's going on there.
It is called manipulation of market prices, it does not help on ebay either, now ordinary punters all think the B.James Avon's are worth £325+, never understand such a rubbish rod is ever worth more than £150, give me a Millwards, Chapman or Hardy any day!
Paul,
Sorry I'm a bit dim – could you explain a bit more about how this is a manipulation of the market – what's the strategy?
I think they call it shill bidding on ebay! where you get friends and family to bid up to price, then everybody thinks that what they are worth, then the same rod reappears a few month later, that is my opinion!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Thanks I can understand that but what I don't get is why a dealer would remove choice items from their stock to take the risk of selling at an auction for rather less than the price advertised on their site. Alternatively somebody may have genuinely bought them and rapidly decided to move them on via auction. I just find it a curious state of affairs whatever the reasons.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 pm
Be prepared for the old "I can get one on ebay for half that". The simple reply is, "You might be lucky and find one as nice on ebay but you can have this one now and there's no condition issues and no postage to worry about"
Wal.
Which recalls a moment for me from 30 years ago when one evening I was in a local independent wine merchant, known for his quality stuff but steep prices, wondering if I could possibly afford anything on his shelves. A yuppie (remember them?) was trying to get a discount on a couple of bottles of wine and took exception to being told that the price on the shelf was the price he had to pay. 'But I can go down to Oddbins and get them 15% cheaper'. 'Then eff off to Oddbins and buy them there'. Loud guffaws from me in the Alsace section.
Last edited by Stathamender on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Do your research and price everything up. Rods that sell well, we all know the B James etc plus the short fly rods. We might like a Milward or one of the lesser brands but the dealer want rods that they can sell - they have done their research.

Reels Aerials etc, Hardy, Ari Hart and classic fly reels. Brass and wood not that many people collecting or buying.

Lures, plenty of money for the "stars" Gregory etc.

I will be there I will have folding cash but like most times will end up buying nothing as I only collect Nottingham reels, very very early ones, Slater reels that I dont have ( I have more than 150 all different) Percy Wadham and the Dreadnought Casting Reel Company, rods, seen about 5 in 20 years, reels, I have 23, bought a Meteor at Romsey for£45 the first year it was on, no marking so the guy did not know what it was, and lures. I have possibly 300 lures and I am always looking to add to them especially anything marked Dreadnought Casting Reel Company.

StevetheCreel
Minnow

Post by StevetheCreel »

well not long to go now for the romsey vintage and secondhand tackle fair 8th april post code s0518zb over 65 stalls including garry mills from mill tackle phil waller auther of collecting for all chris ward pete carman paul morgan tff member nobby just to name a few I will be thining out my centre pin collection 30/40 on sell also ten new stall holders some nice cased fish by one seller and a good a lure collection all from a private collections

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”