First time at Romsey

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
CrayCane
Chub

First time at Romsey

Post by CrayCane »

With a mate of mine, I've booked a table at next weeks Romsey tackle fair, with the hope of thinning down some of the tackle we no longer use and maybe raising some funds for tackle we will use.
Never having tried this before, not even a boot fair, I wondered if there was any advice the 'old hands' would give to a novice.
Favourable prices to holders of the TFF badge obviously :Wink:

Pete

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: First time at Romsey

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I think you'll find it a complete and utter waste of time and effort Pete, so to help you and your pal out I can send in a courier to collect all your unwanted tackle and I will dispose of it for you at no charge to your good selves :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

:Hahaha: That's very good of you Jeremy and if it was purely up to me I'd send you the lot of course.
Unfortunately my mate thinks we should hold out for a quid or two, so we will have to lug it all down to Romsey.
Pete

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Pete I've often had a table, It does not matter what price you ask, they always knock you down, so make an allowance for that, and stick to your guns.

The dealers are a pain, they raid your stuff as you are setting up, always ask for a lot more than you wanted from them, otherwise you will never get to offer stuff to real anglers, and don't be surprised if a dealer buys cheap off you to see it 3 times as much on their table!

Have a good day, I will be attending and will call by.
Paul

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks Paul, that's very helpful.
I must admit striking a balance between what is a fair price and not giving stuff away has been tricky. Is it best to label everything with a price?
I guess we will learn through the experience.

Pete

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

CrayCane wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:10 pm :Hahaha: That's very good of you Jeremy and if it was purely up to me I'd send you the lot of course.
Unfortunately my mate thinks we should hold out for a quid or two, so we will have to lug it all down to Romsey.
Pete
Just had a thought, why not sort it into lots and offer it to forum members? Save you an awful lot of fuss and bother and a trek to Romsey and you may well get a better return????
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Pete, good advice from Paul about the early bird dealers. Label everything up with a price that you would buy it for and don't be giving daft discounts for bulk buying.
Remember you can always come down in price but not go up and many good deals are made to genuine buyers near the end of the sale.
Be prepared for the old "I can get one on ebay for half that". The simple reply is, "You might be lucky and find one as nice on ebay but you can have this one now and there's no condition issues and no postage to worry about"

Good luck and don't forget to take plenty of £1 coins and fivers because everyone will be changing £20s.

Wal.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks Jeremy. In truth I'm quite looking forward to going to Romsey I imagine it's quite a sociable affair.
We also have quite a lot of stuff (nearly 40 rods alone, I think) so I wouldn't want to post those, not that we would sell them all.
We'll be very happy to sell to forum members of course.
Pete

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks Wal good advice. I'll be going through my prices again I think :Wink:
Pete

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i must remember to wear my tff badge to get my 50% discount then