First time at Romsey

This is the place where forthcoming events like fishing tackle fairs, game fairs, book launches and similar events can be posted.
CrayCane
Chub

Re: First time at Romsey

Post by CrayCane »

Chubman wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:11 pm i must remember to wear my tff badge to get my 50% discount then
Oh bugger! up they go again. :Hahaha:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

CrayCane wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:08 pm Thanks Jeremy. In truth I'm quite looking forward to going to Romsey I imagine it's quite a sociable affair.
We also have quite a lot of stuff (nearly 40 rods alone, I think) so I wouldn't want to post those, not that we would sell them all.
We'll be very happy to sell to forum members of course.
Pete
Wish I was going now :eyebrow:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Oh well.... I'll get the wife making some Tiffin to bring down with us then... :whistle:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

mrs H'sTiffin :drool:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sound advice from Paul there......I've let far too many dealers buy stuff from me cheaply before the doors are even open to the public in the past. Only to see it on their websites at a huge mark-up within weeks.

The doors open to table holders at 7am...a full two hours before the public are allowed in, though there's always some 'celebrity' that manages to sneak in early with a 'client'............

I'd label stuff with a price, otherwise it might give the impression you are making the prices up on the spot. Even if they are fair prices it can rub folk up the wrong way.

There's a few hard-nosed regulars that will try and knock you down price-wise. It's up to you what you do, but don't expect the high prices you might see at Redditch, generally Romsey just doesn't achieve those. Having a list in your pocket of what you actually paid for everything can help you not make too great a loss......

It's great to have a mate there...stuff does disappear if you leave your table unattended, sadly.

One last thought.......you'd think that dealers might 'do a deal' towards the end of the day, rather than take it all home again but this simply doesn't happen ( apart from at my table!). Instead a good three quarters of them will pack up early and start the long drive home...tomorrow's Monday and they have jobs to get to......the hall can be empty of traders by Noon!!!!

Just what folk attending these fairs want these days is hard to guess. Over the years I've offered restored rods, sound rods ready to be restored, home-made floats...which you simply never make any money on...and serviced reels. All I do now is restored and serviced reels......everything else folk can do for themselves these days. I blame the forums! :Hahaha:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've had a look at the catalogue for the auction and there appears to be at least two if not three 'top end of the market' rods (with price tags to match) that were recently listed as sold by a dealer but that are now in this sale. Not sure what's going on there.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Beresford wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:14 am I've had a look at the catalogue for the auction and there appears to be at least two if not three 'top end of the market' rods (with price tags to match) that were recently listed as sold by a dealer but that are now in this sale. Not sure what's going on there.
It is called manipulation of market prices, it does not help on ebay either, now ordinary punters all think the B.James Avon's are worth £325+, never understand such a rubbish rod is ever worth more than £150, give me a Millwards, Chapman or Hardy any day!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

“It's great to have a mate there...stuff does disappear if you leave your table unattended, sadly.”

That is truly shocking and I’d hope if you caught anyone pilfering stuff, you’d make sure they got a damned good thrashing!!!!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Many thanks Nobby, all useful info.
Pete

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Paul F wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:56 am
Beresford wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:14 am I've had a look at the catalogue for the auction and there appears to be at least two if not three 'top end of the market' rods (with price tags to match) that were recently listed as sold by a dealer but that are now in this sale. Not sure what's going on there.
It is called manipulation of market prices, it does not help on ebay either, now ordinary punters all think the B.James Avon's are worth £325+, never understand such a rubbish rod is ever worth more than £150, give me a Millwards, Chapman or Hardy any day!
Paul,
Sorry I'm a bit dim – could you explain a bit more about how this is a manipulation of the market – what's the strategy?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Fishing Tackle, Game Fairs and Other Events”