Gladding Intrepid Rimfly

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Wandler

Gladding Intrepid Rimfly

Post by Wandler »

I have just bought one of these on a well known auction! I did it entirely on a whim.

Are they any good? :Confused: :Confused:

Trevor
Eel

Re: Gladding Intrepid Rimfly

Post by Trevor »

From what I gather there were a lot of them made, and they were a budget reel but well built.
I rather like the look of them and the fact they're cheap, in fact I lost out on one this morning by 50p as I wasn't around when the auction ended (well done if this was the one you bought). There seem to be plenty about though, so there'll always be another chance

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Mine was bought this evening for the princely sum of £4.19.

Now I would be living up to my Scottish heritage if I were to say it wisnae cheep but it wis awfu dear!

I really don't expect much of this reel but who knows? I wonder if this particular rimfly was one made by J W Young on contract?

What I really wanted to buy was a J W Young Pridex but I got led up the Gladding Rimfly path! :Confused: :Confused:

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Thanks for the reply BarryK.

I read somewhere on a US site that J W Young had made reels for K P Morritt and for Gladding. I wonder if this is true?

Forgive my ignorance but what does BFR stand for?

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

I think I have it .... British Fly Reels.

Of Falmouth.

Makes sense!

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Rimflys are bomproof.Good all round reels.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I have used them on and off for many years, 38 to be precise. Last year I bought a mint LW version, boxed for £6. Simple bomb proof – do the job kind of reels. I've only ever known one to have a problem and that was because it had really just worn out over decades of use. As far as I'm aware they were never made by Youngs.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Thanks for hat Beresford. I seem to recall getting the gen re J W Young's making them for Gladding from a US Classic reels web-page. Maybe I just got mixed up or the guy on the US page got it wrong. I am looking forward to getting the reel though.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”