Intrepid "New De Luxe"

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Intrepid "New De Luxe"

Post by AshbyCut »

Once again I'm humbled by the generosity of TFF members !

A few weeks ago I posted that I was looking for an Intrepid 'Classic,' and a few days later was PM'd that a member had an Intrepid reel in his garage to which I was welcome, though he wasn't sure of the model.

That reel arrived in this mornings post, and proved to be a "New De Luxe," a 70's model by the look of the angular design rather than the rounded, Mitchell-like looks of earlier decades, and a plastic anti-reverse lever.

Why "New" ? Because the original De Luxe had a bent wire bail arm ... very much a 'boys reel' ... whilst this one has a full roller bail arm.

I am indebted to Hovis for his kindness.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hovis
Tench

Re: Intrepid "New De Luxe"

Post by Hovis »

Mal that looks better already! You must have an everlasting supply of chrome cleaner.

P.S you may want to cahnge the line as its of the 70's vintage
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Nicely done Hovis!

Well polished Mal :Hahaha:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Yup its a 70s reel. This model was my first proper fixed spool, bought around 1970. I had the one with red furniture. I bought an identical one recently for old time's sake.

Quite nice to use, but the line roller is prone to grooving. After my third replacement roller in 3 seasons I bought a Mitchell 308
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done chaps.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

My first fixed spool reel back in the 1970s - I still have it and it still works fine - generally an OK reel.

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

I see that this thread has been going for a while but I thought that I would add something. I have an Intrepid New Deluxe as described by SeanM with red 'furniture'. It was one that my father used when he first fished with me; it was better than just watching! I believe it was purchased about late 60s though which is a little out of line with the previous comments regarding production date. I could be wrong though. I'll try to post a picture if anyone is interested.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

WhiteWolf wrote:I believe it was purchased about late 60s though which is a little out of line with the previous comments regarding production date.
I was simply guessing in my suggestion of 'early 70' WhiteWolf, Sir ... though I do believe that the red handled version was a Gladding model from the late 1960's, as suggested by the page in the informative intrepidreel.com website :-

http://www.intrepidreel.com/reels.html

There are a few of us here who are trying to nail down the date of the change from K. P. Morritt's to Gladding. :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

Looking at the information that you provided I can say that it is definitely the 3010 version. If it's of any use, trying to replay my memories, I'm going to guess that it was purchased about 1966.
I can't see any other markings on it that might help but it is very obviously different in terms of finish from the Classic that I have which was purchased about 1964.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote:
WhiteWolf wrote:I believe it was purchased about late 60s though which is a little out of line with the previous comments regarding production date.
I was simply guessing in my suggestion of 'early 70' WhiteWolf, Sir ... though I do believe that the red handled version was a Gladding model from the late 1960's, as suggested by the page in the informative intrepidreel.com website :-

http://www.intrepidreel.com/reels.html

There are a few of us here who are trying to nail down the date of the change from K. P. Morritt's to Gladding. :Wink:
This might help with the date(add taken from Angling July 1968)

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”