New popular

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Marc
Sea Trout

New popular

Post by Marc »

Anyone shed any light on this little reel? Is it a fly reel or coarse reel? I bought one whilst collecting KP's and just came across it in my tackle bag..
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: New popular

Post by Ljm183 »

Prince of Durham wrote:Anyone shed any light on this little reel? Is it a fly reel or coarse reel? I bought one whilst collecting KP's and just came across it in my tackle bag..
Have a look here.
It,s a centrepin.

http://www.intrepidreel.com/reels.html

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A basic true centrepin it spins quite nicely, but suffers from a fragile plastic central boss, and because the spool is a single plastic moulding the teeth for the ratchet wear badly against the metal of the mechanism reducing it's efficiency in time. It's quite a small arbour, so don't expect to retrieve quickly.

That said, with it's reversible/removable line guide and it's light weight makes it a lovely little gudgeon/small roach reel when matched with a lightweight match rod.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Thanks AC. That's what I'll use it for then. Tiddler snatching. Mine has metal teeth on the back, so it may be a later improvement.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I'm sure you are correct PoD, Sir. I keep looking for one.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Prince of Durham wrote:Thanks AC. That's what I'll use it for then. Tiddler snatching. Mine has metal teeth on the back, so it may be a later improvement.

One of these reels have been offered to me, but the seller stated that the ratchet doesn't work. When you compare PoD's photo to the one below you will notice the difference, but I don't know the English word for the missing part. Furthermore, are spare parts available and can they easily be attached?

Best regards
Stef

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

It's easier to buy a reel, Sir. They can be had on the Bay of E for just a few pounds. Mine cost me £5.50 with it's original box. They are going up in price, though.

This one is currently available (not mine) ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-Reel- ... 1c3471f62d

K P Morritt did do boxed spares kits for their reels, but these are now collectable and would probably cost more than a reel ... if you could find one for the New Popular.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Thanks AC! So I will refrain from buying it.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Here's another two ... but one is ridiculously expensive. See what I mean about prices ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-KP-Mo ... 53facb9253

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-Vintage ... 5d41390d5a

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

The one I had been offered would be slightly more favourable than the second one.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”