Paul D

Re: Mill Tackle Company

Post by Paul D »

Fabulous, what a lovely thing to have done, enjoy your new reel sir :Hat:

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

He does make some very nice reels indeed enjoy your reel I bet you will miss a few bites looking at it admiringly :Ok: :fish: mike

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

What a great idea, what a fine result!

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Wonderful.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Deeply jealous! So Garry uses a drill press to press in his line lay pins? I guess that's why they call it a 'press' and not a bench drill?

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

What a wonderful gift. Lucky man .... now where's that list for Santa ....

Nobby, pillar or bench drills are not meant to be used as presses, as I guess you know really, but perhaps it's being used as a spin riveter (Duckett ?). If a riveting punch with a slight wobble on it is used with the drill rotating, the rivet is closed very nicely without as much force. It's not actually eccentric at the tip, more bent but on centre. Difficult to explain, but it works great.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Dear Nobby and Pb845,

Sadly, I am no engineer and took in and retained a lot less than I should have! I hadn't done any soft metal work since Middle School over 40 years ago! However, the description by Pb845 matches what I saw and did. The bit span slowly whilst boring a small hole in the solid brass line-lay. With gentle pressure, the outside edge of the bit turned the edges of the line-lay over to form the rivet. The trick was to do it a couple of times, checking in between each to see if the line-lay would not rotate any longer.

I do have more photographs if either of you are interested and would be happy to post a close up of a finished line lay if that would help.

I showed the finished 'pin to my brother over the weekend - he's a time served miller and turner - and he described it as a work of art!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Now I hadn't heard of that before...my only riveting experience was with light aircraft..all dollies and air guns, it makes it sound so simple.

Pb845
Minnow

Post by Pb845 »

Duckett, I personally would love to see more photos of your handiwork 😛

I think to be fair to Gary though, you probably shouldn't post detailed ones of his processes unless he specifically agreed you could.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Pb845, my handiwork :Hahaha: ....... you make a good point about photos. There aren't actually many close-ups and Gary and his daughter-in-law (I've a terrible memory for names and am always having to apologise!) took all of them. So, I'll drop him a quick line to check. I took a real liking to him from the moment we met, so I wouldn't want to cause him any problems.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Reels”