Angler scout reels, info required please gentlemen.

The Other Reels forum.
Aitch
Pike

Re: Angler scout reels, info required please gentlemen.

Post by Aitch »

Be aware that using the reel as a sidecaster imparts a lot of line twist... it can cause tangles if not untwisted after every couple of trips... to untwist I cast across some grass with a light ledger, then follow the line to the lead, unclip it and return to your reel and rewind the line through the grass.... this tends to untwist ones mainline :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Hi all, just a note, the 8-50 is a little bit smaller than the 8-80, but has some refinements, the main being that the spool is removable by a catch, just like a Strikeright type, so no screw driver or penny needed.
Rod :Hat:
PS if I can find mine I will put the full details and pics on here.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Thanks for the tip Harry - I shall do exactly as you suggest after a couple of trips, hopefully that will keep the dreaded bird-nest tangles at bay!

Rod, yes, the need for a screwdriver or similar to take the spool off is a slight down-side to the design of the larger ones, I've put a dumpy flat-head screwdriver in my shoulder-bag, just in case the line finds its way behind the spool - thanks for the input, I wouldn't have thought of doing so without your comment.

ATB,

Jim

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

SlimJim wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:57 pm
But the larger 8-120 (pale blue with white handles) spins with a proper 'rasp' and, having applied my usual level of 'furkling power' to it, I have basically decided that the issue is either a) The reel has lost a necessary spacer/washer/shim which would allow a smoother rotation at the base of the central column, or b) The reel was designed that way, and so the rather agricultural sound of the reel is simply down to the basic design of it.
I just had a look at my 120 and it seems to have the build quality of an item put together by an apprentice's boot. Although it doesn't 'rasp' it's hardly a free spinner. But it does a job and I've had a few pike on it.

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Ha ha - thanks Dave. Yes, it certainly has a touch of the 'Woolworths' about it!

Having said that, I actually managed to get to the river just before dusk yesterday afternoon, and had my first trundle with the smaller (better) 8-80 model. I think I've got lucky with this particular reel, it's in great condition and as I mentioned earlier it spins pretty well since I gave it a bit of TLC.

I didn't suffer any distractions in the form of actually catching anything of course - heaven forbid, but the sensation of the bait and lump of plasticine rattling over the gravel runs was fantastic, and no doubt when a take does finally come it will be electrifying.

I genuinely preferred using this reel compared to a fixed spool for this method, being able to tweak the rim of the spool to give or take line while still having a hand free to hold a loop of line feeling for bites was a marked improvement over having to wind a handle. The side cast facility was also a bonus, and for those far bank runs, where a Wallis cast was a bit ambitious, this reel got me out there with no trouble at all. It did everything I asked of it without any issues, and I'm very pleased that I spent £20 on three of these rather than £300+ on one of the Ray Walton models (no offence to Ray)!

The biggest 8-120 Scout will definitely be reserved for novelty piking sessions, along with my 5.5" giant Trudex which I use for the same thing, all good fun which adds a further dimension to a cold winter day!

ATB

Jim

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

SlimJim wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:52 am Ha ha - thanks Dave. Yes, it certainly has a touch of the 'Woolworths' about it!

Having said that, I actually managed to get to the river just before dusk yesterday afternoon, and had my first trundle with the smaller (better) 8-80 model. I think I've got lucky with this particular reel, it's in great condition and as I mentioned earlier it spins pretty well since I gave it a bit of TLC.

I didn't suffer any distractions in the form of actually catching anything of course - heaven forbid, but the sensation of the bait and lump of plasticine rattling over the gravel runs was fantastic, and no doubt when a take does finally come it will be electrifying.

I genuinely preferred using this reel compared to a fixed spool for this method, being able to tweak the rim of the spool to give or take line while still having a hand free to hold a loop of line feeling for bites was a marked improvement over having to wind a handle. The side cast facility was also a bonus, and for those far bank runs, where a Wallis cast was a bit ambitious, this reel got me out there with no trouble at all. It did everything I asked of it without any issues, and I'm very pleased that I spent £20 on three of these rather than £300+ on one of the Ray Walton models (no offence to Ray)!

The biggest 8-120 Scout will definitely be reserved for novelty piking sessions, along with my 5.5" giant Trudex which I use for the same thing, all good fun which adds a further dimension to a cold winter day!

ATB

Jim

I too have handled a few of the smaller reels and they have performed adequately. Of course, the dreaded line twist is an issue but by walking the line out along the bank then winding it back against the pressure of thumb and fore finger every now and then will keep everything flowing nicely.

The 120 certainly needs to be used. Alas the check on mine is rubbish and I rarely pike fish nowadays but I would use it again were I to get around to fixing it.

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

yes, I noticed the line twist starting to take hold towards the end of the session, no sign of real trouble, but I'll straighten it out before the next time.

I only used the side-cast facility when I really needed to, and the reel wasn't actually a bad wallis-casting tool, so I think I minimised the twisting as much as I could.

It's nice to have a quirky 'novelty reel' to use from time to time, it is after all supposed to be just a bit of fun! The 8-120 will certainly be doing a bit of pike-pestering soon, just need to give it a wipe over and load some line onto it...then it'll be good to go!

Cheers for now and good luck,

Jim

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

SlimJim wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:57 pm Dear All,

Not sure if any of you are interested in reviving this conversation - but I was hoping for some guidance please?

These quirky reels recently caught my attention when I went in search of a 'good value' (cheap) version of the side-casting J W Youngs reel which Ray Walton put his name on.

Well, inevitably the Angler Scout soon emerged from Google, and as luck would have it, a lot of three were on eBay looking for a good home. I think I was the only bidder, maybe one other, and snaffled the trio for just over £20 including the postage - bargain!

So now I am the very proud owner of an 8-80, 8-100 & 8-120. The two smaller ones were in good condition and cleaned up a treat, and with a drop or three of sewing machine oil they now actually spin surprisingly quietly, and pretty smoothly (all things considered).

But the larger 8-120 (pale blue with white handles) spins with a proper 'rasp' and, having applied my usual level of 'furkling power' to it, I have basically decided that the issue is either a) The reel has lost a necessary spacer/washer/shim which would allow a smoother rotation at the base of the central column, or b) The reel was designed that way, and so the rather agricultural sound of the reel is simply down to the basic design of it.

Have other owners of the 8-120 noticed that the spool cog mechanism seems to simply sit, and turn, directly on the circular metal base of the central column? The smaller models have a step incorporated at the base of their central column which improves the spinning potential no end, the larger one doesn't seem to have anything doing the same job...any thoughts?

To be honest, I'm not at all bothered about this - just curious, and am planning a grand baptism for that largest reel at our annual Christmas pike fishing social, the thought of playing a big'un on that reel makes me grin just thinking about it! To be honest, a bit of rattling and rasping will just add to the theatre of it all.

The middle sized one (8-100) is going to be pressed into action for a bit of meat rolling for chub and (hopefully) barbel, I reckon it'll do that job nicely...and as for the little 8-80, erm....well, I suppose I'll think of something!

Best wishes to all, and thanks for reading my waffle - any thoughts, comments or suggestions greatly welcomed as ever.

Good luck & best regards,

Jim
This may be of interest - https://youtu.be/PyFi5HOjBxE

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Hi Stingray

Thanks for the link, I had seen that before, but hadn't thought to un-mute the sound while I watched it. I turned the sound right up and there is definitely a similar rubbing sound on the video to the sound I have with mine. I won't waste any more time trying to get it running any smoother - time to sling out half a mackerel and wait for a big girl to come calling...well, I can dream can't I.

All the best,

Jim

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

I have just picked up a scout 8-80 in a bindle lot and have cleaned it etc. does anyone have a photo or a diagram of how the spring should be connected inside? mine was loose inside when I opened it and Im not sure if its been damaged and bent or I am just being an idiot and not able to work out how it should be connected.
Thanks in advance for any info and help I cant find a video of it being serviced or a diagram/photo of one that has been taken apart.
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Return to “Other Reels”