Diamond super deluxe 777

The Other Reels forum.
SmithyFish
Ruffe

Diamond super deluxe 777

Post by SmithyFish »

Evening, gents. This little number arrived in the post today. I picked it up as it looked just the job for my mullet fishing in the summer. With a little ckean-up I think she'll fit the bill nicely.

I've had a look around the internet and found a listing for the same model that says it's by Sealey and Sons. Can anyone shed any light?

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Diamond super deluxe 777

Post by Marc »

I'm not sure if there is a sealey connection, someone may know, but I'm sure it's by Shakespeare. I have a number of Norris Shakespeare and 'just' Shakespeare reels and they are lovely bits of kit. Well priced because they're not all that popular with traditionalists being from the Far East, but vintage reels are vintage reels in my book. They're built to last and have a quality feel. You'll enjoy using it.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Hi. It's Japanese - good quality - probably mid to late 1960s. The Sealey connection could be correct as Sealey rebadged a fair few Japanese reels. If I'm not mistaken these were made by the same people who made Shakespeare reels of the time - again good quality (very underrated in fact) reels. I would not be surprised if there is a ball bearing in there.

SmithyFish
Ruffe

Post by SmithyFish »

Thanks, gents. In my head I had it pegged as a 60s reel - I just look at it and it makes me think 'Goldfinger', if that makes any sense? One of the great pleasures of owning such reels is when they openly display features that are "of the period" - the body shape, styling, and even the fonts could have been lifted from a 60s car, magazine advert or film poster. It'll look lovely in the June sunshine on the banks of my local estuary!

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Some relations.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I believe the same Japanese built reels were also sold by Woolworths under their Winfield banner. I read a report once by famous sea angler John Holden praising the build quality of the larger version.

Wal.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

The silver 2010 in the bottom picture (apologies for the poor image) looks almost identical to your 777. It's proved itself in many a battle with carp.

Here's an image of the other side.

Marc. (Prince of Durham)

SmithyFish
Ruffe

Post by SmithyFish »

Prince of Durham wrote:The silver 2010 in the bottom picture (apologies for the poor image) looks almost identical to your 777. It's proved itself in many a battle with carp.

Here's an image of the other side.

That's good to know; my reel should cope okay with a few mullet then!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

From a Bennetts of Sheffield advert 1968
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

SmithyFish
Ruffe

Post by SmithyFish »

That settles it then. Thanks Harry.

Return to “Other Reels”