Stantons

The Other Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Stantons

Post by Wallys-Cast »

There has been a lot of variations in the Stanton type reels over the years. The early Reynold made originals were very robust with many different choices so probably made to order. I have had reels with no handles or check, handles with no check, handles with adjustable drag instead of check. Both 4" and 4 3/4" sizes of each of these variations too. I have also had two with no ventilation holes.
All were lovely reels to use and I think superb value for money too when compared with commercially made reels.
Heres a couple of 4" reels next to a 4 3/4 to show the sizes in comparison.ImageImageImage
As you can see, one of the 4 inch reels has a check, the other an adjustable brake pad type drag.

I do like hand made reels and cant resist buying them but I have had a good clean out over the last few years. These are the only three Stanton type reels I have left now but I did have 15 at one time and all were slightly different.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've not seen any of those smaller versions before and I had no idea about the spool brake system...thanks Wal.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Fifteen Stantons Wal! :shocked: Almost as bad as me with Avon rods mate..... :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

RightCharlie
Ruffe

Post by RightCharlie »

This forum still amazes me sometimes, thought I'd seen and handled every Reynold Stanton over the years and up pops Wal with the one fitted with adjustable drag!

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

Thanks guys.I also have the 4inch.Image
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Roachy wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:39 pm
Match Aerial wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:37 pm I always fancied a smaller Stanton but most that turn up for sale a the 5 inch models.
Had a couple of the 5 inch ones but always thought they felt a little too big.
They were very free running lovely for trotting.
I have the 4 1/2 inch one and i thinks its a better reel than the 5 inch.
Horses for courses as they are all fantastic trotting reels. I use a 5" for long trotting on the Trent near Newark using braid to 150yards plus and if there was a 6" I would use that I can tell you as they are so light and without equal in those circumstances. Crashing about on steep rocky banks is no place for the finer reels I have and being so freely available is an advantage I feel as they are relatively inexpensive when one considers the competence of them. I'm a real fan of Stantons and wonder how anyone could make a living making and selling new ones given the availability of lightly used pre-owned models. A sign of the times as less people fish the rivers in this way these days.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Return to “Other Reels”