Mordex Merlin help

The Other Reels forum.
Rich Clarke
Minnow

Mordex Merlin help

Post by Rich Clarke »

Hi all,

Im after a little information please.

Back in the early 1980s just prior to his death my late grandad gave me a rather rough Merlin reel, just as I was starting to get an interest in the sport.

One of the handles was damaged when he gave it me, looks like a mouse has had a go at it. To be honest I was embarrassed by it for many years before realising what a little gem of a reel it really was.

I still use it for occasional Tench and Barbel fishing trips but I would like to replace the handle. I keep looking for a doner reel to take a handle off of but everyone I see has triangular handles, while mine has round handles.

My question is, does anyone know if my handles would have been original, or maybe they've been replaced at some point already. Can you approx date the reel from the shape of the handles? And lastly is there anything else I could use to replace both handles with? Id like to keep the round ones ideally.

Thanks in advance

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul D

Re: Mordex Merlin help

Post by Paul D »

Sir, give Gary Mills at milltackle a ring, I believe he produces handle sets, sorry I would post a link but I'm a computer numpty . :Hat:

Rich Clarke
Minnow

Post by Rich Clarke »

Many thanks Paul just googled it and found them.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

The handles are original, I think that the triangular ones are a sign of later models. Replacing them will be difficult as they are riveted on. Gary Mills should be able to do it for you, but it might be worth contacting Evert van der Plas who is A member on here.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Rich Clarke
Minnow

Post by Rich Clarke »

Thanks Shane

Yes I was planning on drilling the rivets out and using inter / binding screws if I can find some brass or stainless in the correct size

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, as suggested by Sean, the round handles are an earlier example, I expect the triangular ones sort of copied Youngs patented ones...which makes your example a very good one for the age. Re-riveting handles is tricky as you need the handle knob to turn, but not the post it is fitted on. Evert in Holland had worked on these reels extensively.

The plastic centreboss is popularly changed for a custom-made metal one as they distort when the three screws are tightened and change the end-float clearance.

What Garry Mills offers isn't on his website......it's something he made for another company who market reels from time to time, but it would surely fit your reel....it costs £30 though.......it is a set of posts, mounting collars, spacer cups and handle knobs in off-white. You can see them here, but with my own brown handles:

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... em#p336857

Rich Clarke
Minnow

Post by Rich Clarke »

Thanks Nobby

Would you have any idea how old my reel is?

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'd say early to mid 1960s although there doesn't seem to be any definitive method of dating these reels. I've got what I believe is one of the earliest models which has a rim mounted check lever (like a Grice and Young Avon Royal supreme). The sequence seems to go:

Wide drum, rim mounted check lever, wide drum pressed steel back

Slightly narrower drum, back-plate mounted check lever, cast back-plate, round handles.

As above, but triangular handles,

The first model is probably late 1950s to early 1960s and the last is probably early 1970s, but this is just my conjecture.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Rich Clarke
Minnow

Post by Rich Clarke »

Thanks Sean

I'm sending it to Evert at the end of summer for new handles and a re-spray

Cheers all

Rich

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Evert has posted some lovely photos on the forum of reels that he has restored :Hat:

Return to “Other Reels”