T.J. Harrington 'Korka' Vs 'Magda'

The Other Reels forum.
The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

T.J. Harrington 'Korka' Vs 'Magda'

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

I admit to being a wee bit envious when Fredline posted a picture of a reel unbeknown to myself, that being the 'The Magda' so it was quite a shock when one appeared on Ebay, albeit at a price I would usually gasp in shock. After a short consultation with 'er indoors, I did not hesitate in parting with the £34 required to possess this rarity. I was very surprised to learn on purchase that the vendor was no other than Fredline and was indeed the very same reel!
Strangely enough, my last purchase was another from the TJH stable, 'The Korka' for just £1 plus £3 P/P so it was an ideal time to make a comparison of the two. Internally, they are identical, externaly, aside from a red handle that is slightly larger than that on the Korka, only the drag nut and a small cosmetic ridge around the casing of the Magda would split the otherwise very similar reels.
Now, we can only speculate how many other reels made by 'Walton on Thames' finest, may have slipped through history without notice. I've listed all those below that I own, plus of course, 'The Triple Check' which still eludes me.
1 - Little Kraka
2 - Invicta
3 - Gemina
4 - Maxima
5 - Regina
6 - Le Omnia
7 - Omnia Super
8 - The Korka
9 - The Magda

As to whether 'The Bijou' and 'The Wey Mk 1 & 11'are related, is subject to debate....
Photos to follow......
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Re: T.J. Harrington 'Korka' Vs 'Magda'

Photo's as promised,-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Plus three more,-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

Looks like someone else has caught the Harrington bug, they are works of art and masterpieces of engineering to a price.
There is a lovely piece in the whiteadder fishing museum site on Harrington reels, (which you've probably seen before) and it leaves you wanting to know more.
https://whiteaddersflyfishingmuseum.wee ... ington.htm

JW

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Has anyone got a TJH Triple Check they may be willing to part with? Also, I'm still looking for a Intrepid Diplomat to complete my KP Morritt collection.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sadly the Whiteadder pages seem down at the moment, but I think they had a link to a piece about the last owner of the firm....who was a bit of a character.....

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

The Mudway Dangler wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:56 pm Has anyone got a TJH Triple Check they may be willing to part with? Also, I'm still looking for a Intrepid Diplomat to complete my KP Morritt collection.
PM for you :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

LeaDweller had a mint TJH reel for sale......Regina maybe?

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

I really am so honoured to be part of the community that is this forum and its most helpful members. After recently asking if anyone had a TJ Harrington 'Triple Check' for sale, I was offered one in exchange for a donation to this website. I am eternally grateful to Alex Wagtail for his unbelievable generosity.
True, it was as he described, not in great condition, but a few hours of hard labour and it has been returned to its former glory. As I have only seen one or two photos, I'm sure the brown paint was not supposed to be there, so it was removed with a coating of 'nitromors' before a good rub down with fine wire wool and 'Brasso'
I straightened out the rim and it now spins very well indeed. As with my last few acquisitions, I'll load a few yards of line on it and give it a thorough Medway test on Saturday before placing proudly in my display area.

I must be having a lucky week, because yesterday I received a job lot of reels from an eBay purchase that consisted of the following,-
ABU 508 (no spool)
ABU Cardinal Max 4 (unused with lovely case and two spools of Maxima)
Mitchell Match (no spool) - a bit tatty
Mitchell 320 (mint)
Intrepid Surfcast
Intrepid Elite
Intrepid New Deluxe
Galion 18
unknown

and finally.....
An Allcock Felton!!!
and all for the princely sum of £26.50 inc. p/p

Once again, my sincere thanks to Alex and all forum users for being most helpful.
PaulImageImage

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Paul, I hate to say this but both of the two other Triple-checks that I've seen were also painted brown..... but have to admit they look better in your all-metal finish :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Other Reels”