Homer Perfection Flick Em

The Other Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Homer Perfection Flick Em

Post by Duckett »

I've just acquired a Homer Perfection Flick Em. To be honest, I was a bit sceptical as I'd only seen Perfection Flick Ems made by Youngs and stamped/branded for other tackle retailers or makers.

However, I thought the price was fair either way and decided to take a punt. The reel duly arrived and, although it isn't visible in any photograph I've managed to take, it's clearly stamped "Homer Perfection Flick Em". So, I was wondering if any of the Homer fans who've given me so much help and advice recently, know if Youngs made these for Homer. Or, did Homer make the Perfection Flick Em using the Youngs cog controlled breaking system ....... I somehow doubt this. Pictures below:

ImageImageImage
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Fredline
Tench

Re: Homer Perfection Flick Em

Post by Fredline »

The original latch spool release Homers Flick-em was produced around 1910 by Reuban Heaton. The Improved Homers Flick-em was produced by J. W. Youngs around 1925. In early 1930 The Perfection Flick-em was produced by Youngs and is shown as Pattern No. 12 in some of their brochures. This reel then became the Rapidex in later years. Allcocks, Claytons, Wilkins and quite a few more stamped this Pattern No. 12 with their own name and logo. You have a J. W. Youngs Pattern No. 12 Perfection Flick-em reel made for F.W. Homer of Forest Gate.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I am indebted to you once again Fredline. Many thanks.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Funnily enough, in all these years I've only seen one such reel actually bearing the JW Young name! Whereas I have seen two Gamaflows for Gamages, so the Youngs reel might actually be the rarest of the lot!

I had heard that they were allowed to make the reel by Homer. Perhaps this means a licence fee was paid? I really have no idea.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nobby wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:22 am Funnily enough, in all these years I've only seen one such reel actually bearing the JW Young name! Whereas I have seen two Gamaflows for Gamages, so the Youngs reel might actually be the rarest of the lot!

I had heard that they were allowed to make the reel by Homer. Perhaps this means a licence fee was paid? I really have no idea.
I started keeping one eye open for a Homer branded one more out of a desire for completeness Nobby. However, as my initial post suggests, I did wonder if they even existed. I think Homer may be addictive! Ever since I saw the first photograph of the Perfection Flick Em with the support spokes inside, I've liked the look of them. Grumpy Graham currently has a an Albert Smith branded one on his site. Thanks to Fredline, I now know just how old the design is.

I spent last night cleaning and oiling what I could take apart and then putting her back together. Now, so long as a centrepin runs freely and is relatively easy to start, I'm not interested in "spin time". However, as I now have a Homer Flick Em, a Trudex and a Rapidex, all in good mechanical condition, I thought I may as well oil them up and give them a comparative spin. Hardly fair on the telephone latch Flick Em but what the hell. The Trudex and Rapidex seem mechanically perfect to me whilst both the Flick Em and the Perfection have a very slight wobble.

Anyway, to my surprise, the longest spin was the Perfection Flick Em at 1.5 minutes roughly.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That's a good time...and whilst it doesn't put fish on the bank it does give a rough and ready idea of the friction the reel has inside it and an idea of how well it well let a slow stream pull off line.

It may be that you can tweak the wobble out by turning the spokes, but beware......if you over-tighten them the spool will crack along the groove they sit in! They were never meant to be as tight as a bicycle wheel and always loosen one before you tighten the opposite spoke, never tighten first...always loosen first.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Nobby wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:09 am That's a good time...and whilst it doesn't put fish on the bank it does give a rough and ready idea of the friction the reel has inside it and an idea of how well it well let a slow stream pull off line.

It may be that you can tweak the wobble out by turning the spokes, but beware......if you over-tighten them the spool will crack along the groove they sit in! They were never meant to be as tight as a bicycle wheel and always loosen one before you tighten the opposite spoke, never tighten first...always loosen first.
Thanks for the advice Nobby. Gary Mills was kind enough to show me spoke tightening on my reel experience day, though I didn't have a go and had managed to completely forget what you both said - loosen first! I shall have a look at that and think about it. I think it may be the most delicate job I'll have tried!

I was seriously impressed with the 1.5 minutes. Only the reel Gary built for me and my Kingpin can beat it. Given the age of the Perfection Flick Em, it speaks volumes for the skill of the makers, the quality of the design and materials used.

Return to “Other Reels”