Using a Cobb Centrepin reel

The Other Reels forum.
SharkBoy
Perch

Using a Cobb Centrepin reel

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi guys anyone fished with one of these reels .. I have the chance of purchasing one .. it would seem that if it was set up on a rod to wind with the left hand then you would have to use the rod hand fingers to dab on the brake lever? .. is that correct? .. would love to hear back from a user cheers Steve

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Using a Cobb Centrepin reel

Post by Olly »

I have used a Mitchell fixed spool with a similar finger brake. And yes as you describe - not dissimilar to using a closed face reel.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Sorry I have no idea what a cobb centrepin is ?

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

The Cob Reel is quite a rarity, if you look at the following It will tell you a bit about them.
viewtopic.php?f=212&t=15148&p=210090#p210090
viewtopic.php?f=212&t=15151&p=210095#p210095
viewtopic.php?f=212&t=15150&p=210092#p210092
I also have the original drawings for the prototype, plus loads of spare parts for the internal workings.
They can be changed to either hand, it's a bit fiddly but doable. I believe there were only 65 actually made, and I have the number 2 prototype, a pre-production model and number 62 production model. It's a lovely bit of kit, but I have never put any line on it, so cant say how good it is.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi Rod so when placed on a rod and winding in with the left hand the brake lever faces the body and can only be applied with the little finger of the rod hand but if the reel is set up to reel in with the right hand the trigger mechanism points forward and seem more natural to be applied if you see what I mean .. was that the way it was designed to be used?

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Thank you rod for posting the link it looks a very solid reel I would buy it for it’s rarity alone mike

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I'm getting a bit confused here, if you hold the rod in your right hand and wind with the left, the fighting brake is under your right forefinger, (or index finger or pointing finger), as assembled in the factory :Thumb:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Hi Rod if i open your middle link - 2nd image ... where you have the reel number on your reel the fighting drag is positioned to the right... on my reel i have the smaller lever that sets the clicker ...my fighting drag is pointing backwards in the direction of the fish logo's head so back to front can the levers be swopped over? regards Steve
Last edited by SharkBoy on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I will get mine out of the cupboard tomorrow, and see how it's done, then try to explain it on here.

SharkBoy
Perch

Post by SharkBoy »

Thanks Rod I look forward with great interest 👍

Return to “Other Reels”