Olympic No' 71 Baitcasting reel.

The Other Reels forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Olympic No' 71 Baitcasting reel.

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

Firstly: I hope all those who did had a great and successful June 16th. :Thumb:

Does anyone know anything about this small, basic and simple reel? Picked it up for a pound at a boot sale today. I have read a little about the history of Olympic reels, but alas not about using it. I just wondered how one casts this reel, I'm assuming the mechanism is so smooth and loose that it would cast like a normal multiplier! All help would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you for your time :Hat:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Re: Olympic No' 71 Baitcasting reel.

Post by Stour Otter »

Nice little bait casting reel Tony. I have seen anglers using them on the Dorset Stour when ledgering for barbel! . . thankfully I hope not a style of fishing that will catch on, but a nice little reel for those winter pike fishing days. Good find.

Stour Otter
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Stour Otter wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 am Nice little bait casting reel Tony. I have seen anglers using them on the Dorset Stour when ledgering for barbel! . . thankfully I hope not a style of fishing that will catch on, but a nice little reel for those winter pike fishing days. Good find.

Stour Otter
Thank you for the insight Stout Otter. It is all cleaned up, loaded with line and running very smoothly. Just got to find a nice spinning / pike rod to go with it.

:Hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Very free running reel, with a bit of weight on the end of the line it should cast well.

This one i picked up at a local auction in a joblot of tackle, unusued, boxed with paperwork

Dates to pre 71 , priced at 12/6.

Fitted ratchet.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have had a look at the pictures on this thread but cannot see a lever or button to enable free spool for casting.. Simple question, does it have one?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Reedling wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 am I have had a look at the pictures on this thread but cannot see a lever or button to enable free spool for casting.. Simple question, does it have one?
No free spool facility on my reel, but it,s so free running with the ratchet off it should cast well with a bit of weight in the lure.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Ljm183 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:21 am
Reedling wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 am I have had a look at the pictures on this thread but cannot see a lever or button to enable free spool for casting.. Simple question, does it have one?
No free spool facility on my reel, but it,s so free running with the ratchet off it should cast well with a bit of weight in the lure.
:Hat: Thanks. As you say a bit of weight will definitely help, keep your knuckles away from the handles when casting though :Wink:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Ljm183 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:39 am Very free running reel, with a bit of weight on the end of the line it should cast well.

This one i picked up at a local auction in a joblot of tackle, unusued, boxed with paperwork

Dates to pre 71 , priced at 12/6.

Fitted ratchet.

Thank you Ljm 183. That is a great bit information, will keep my eye out for more. They're so easy to work on and I only lightly oiled it plus a bit of polish.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thank you gentlemen.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

I have one and I agree that they are lovely little reels - great embossed patterning to grace any display cabinet. I would be very careful casting with it is there is no spool tensioner for anti-backlash. I think Olympic made these mainly for the USA market where they would likely have been used for freshwater trolling or bottom fishing from small boats, possibly as a "boys" reel. Been planning to try mine for some margin work for a while now.
Last edited by Stingray on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Other Reels”