Handles or no handles?

The Other Reels forum.
Willsmodger
Rudd

Handles or no handles?

Post by Willsmodger »

I gave my Okuma Kennett a run out on the Severn a couple of weeks ago.
An awkward cross wind (when is there not?) ensured much misery with blowy line and an almost supernatural attraction to getting wrapped around the handles.
My next trip was to my local canal. I used my TFG classic and as an experiment, removed the handles beforehand.
O.k., different conditions, but what a difference, I hesitate to say it for fear of jinxing the future, but it was the only trouble free day's fishing with a pin I've ever had.
I'm thinking of making my other pins handle free. What are the the experiences of other pin anglers? How do you deal with bigger fish? (Like I'm going to hook any)
Many thanks.

Reedling
Catfish

Re: Handles or no handles?

Post by Reedling »

The TFG classic line guard is really good and stops the coils coming off in a wind, and I have managed a cack handed Wallis cast with it on. Nice to hear of another using this great budget reel.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've tried handle-less reels but cannot get on with them. I need something to hold on to when retrieving.
+1 on the line guard - I never have any tangles or line mishaps when using one.
Russ

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Adcock Stanton do a reel without handles..very good trotting reels.
I end up with a black finger though from twiddling the alloy which might spook some people when baiting up because of taint.
Perhaps try one of these before removing handles etc.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I would want to hook into something significant with no handles to help winch it in! Might be ok for just tiddlers.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have handle-less Adcock Stanton and Leeds reels. They are a large diameter - 5 in - and used exclusively for trotting - using the finger holes and batting to retrieve the line - which comes off the top. So batting upwards away from the body.

My right thumb gives the pressure required for playing a fish and the "left finger in the hole" retrieves the line albeit at a slower rate than handles. Retrieving with a small diameter is quite - well awkward.

Leeds reels are available quite cheaply from a well known auction site.

I also have both reels with handles.

Just seen the above re large fish - you don't crack you fingers with no handles!

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Santiago wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:37 am I would want to hook into something significant with no handles to help winch it in! Might be ok for just tiddlers.
Double figure Barbel no problem... you would be surprised. My 5" Stanton has no ratchet either..its a winch and its simplicity is very addictive as you get in a zone with it and connect with what is below the surface without interupted thought.. pure zen I sometimes start to rock as I drift with my float and more than once have had to check myself from falling in as the semi trance like state takes hold..
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Aquaerial, are you sure it's not the pints you had at lunch time :Hahaha:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Thanks for all the replies. Some excellent advice on here.
I'll give it a try next river trip without handles and see how I get on.
The TFG reel was going to be my speci pin. For margin fishing on rivers and canals. Also for a bit of trotting.
An unexpected windfall was spent on a Kennet from a well known auction site. I couldn't resist. Nice reel. If a little blingy.
Somehow I can't find it in my heart to sell the TFG, it's an honest, reliable little chap, with the ratchet switch in an ideal position.

Thanks again.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I had much the same problem a few years back. I decided to get Gary Mills to customise my Bewick's, by fitting a small removable, light weight line guard. Problem solved..
FB_IMG_1531466912508.jpg
FB_IMG_1531467958394.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Reels”