An incomplete list of Winfield coarse reels

The Other Reels forum.
The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

An incomplete list of Winfield coarse reels

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

I really don't know how many there were, when they were first introduced and when they were discontinued, but here's a starter list to which I hope some of you will add? They may not be considered 'traditional' but some of us of a certain vintage were brought up using one or two of them.

Young Angler
Newcomer
Coarse Fisher
Spin Fisher

Any others?
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: An incomplete list of Winfield coarse reels

Post by Beresford »

Oops I though I read rods not reels.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

List of rods would make an ideal post as a companion to this, I'll leave that one to you Mr Beresford. I have a Specimen Fisher and a Roach Fisher
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

If a reel bought from a traditional retail outlet isn't "traditional" I don't know what is!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Was the Young Angler a centrepin. I think I had one as a kid and my first reel. It was terrible and nearly put me off fishing with all the tangles it produced. It came with a short green solid fibreglass rod and a few traditional style floats etc, all in a long cardboard box. The only item I have left from the set is a pair of lead shot piers.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Mudway Dangler wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:04 pm List of rods would make an ideal post as a companion to this, I'll leave that one to you Mr Beresford. I have a Specimen Fisher and a Roach Fisher
I had a Roach Fisher until some toe rag stole it. I'd owned it for 33 years. However, I replaced it with a cane rod that was somewhat older than 33 years. I liked the Roach Fisher and it did sterling service for me. In my student days I had two fishing rods, the other one was a fly rod. The venerable Roach Fisher was used for everything including carp fishing in the margins, which it coped with. One sold on Ebay recently for £37.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

There is a playlist of 14 Winfield (and Matchmaster: also Woolworths) fishing reel videos here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7DF9u ... ETg1DX6ujs

A mixture of coarse and sea reels but there may be some you are unaware of in there.

Maybe not all of your list are coarse reels - the Spinfisher 99 for example was quite a large fixed spool pitched at sea fishing I think.

Also this pic might help -

Front row L to R - Coarse Fisher, Spin Fisher, Spinfisher 555

Middle row - Spinfisher 88, Newcomer, Young Angler MKII, Salt Water Newcomer, Spinfisher 99

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

This is my Winfield Coarse Fisher c.1975. Its original box still contained the receipt from Woolworths Aldershot. £5.79!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

My first rod might have been from Woolies. The classic 6ft, two piece solid glass job, bobbins reel loaded with 20lb b.s. line and the obligatory plastic float.
I can vaguely remember a display of rods in my local branch, there were probably other items of tackle as well.
By then though I had succumbed to the dubious charms of the tackle shop, so I was arrogantly, and no doubt wrongly, contemptuous of it all.
Prior to Sports direct it's always been something of a puzzle to me that the supposed popularity of fishing never lead to other major high street retailers stocking a range. Something tackle shop owners are no doubt grateful for.
I have seen bits and bobs in Poundland, but I wonder what's the strangest place anyone has found fishing gear in?

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Willsmodger wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:51 am Prior to Sports direct it's always been something of a puzzle to me that the supposed popularity of fishing never lead to other major high street retailers stocking a range. Something tackle shop owners are no doubt grateful for.
I have seen bits and bobs in Poundland, but I wonder what's the strangest place anyone has found fishing gear in?
It was always a big thing in the USA, Sears, for example stocked some good stuff. I love it when Lidl get fishing gear and I do the proverbial kid in a candy shop thing but it is now about 3 or 4 years since they did. Aldi do get tackle in from time to time - I bought my fishing brolly, and a really good and excellent value fishing chair from Aldi too.
Last edited by Stingray on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Reels”