The Mudway Dangler

Looks like the Young Angler and 333 were the same reel

Stingray
Grayling

Re: An incomplete list of Winfield coarse reels

Post by Stingray »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:24 pm The Mudway Dangler

Looks like the Young Angler and 333 were the same reel

There were a few totally different reels called "Young Angler" over the years - the one in the picture is a late 1970s skirted spool reel, Young Angler 333, which was actually a rebadged example of the ubiquitously rebadged Ryobi LX01.

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

Stingray, - I have one of those Ryobi reels, identical colour to a woolies reel. I will dig it out to see which one of mine it looks like. I really should have added that there are two bait-casting reels, one named a '44' and the other simply 'Bait-Caster'
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

The Mudway Dangler wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:05 pm Stingray, - I have one of those Ryobi reels, identical colour to a woolies reel. I will dig it out to see which one of mine it looks like. I really should have added that there are two bait-casting reels, one named a '44' and the other simply 'Bait-Caster'
All of the Winfield / Matchmaster reels were made in the far East: Most were by Point in Japan and Gladding in Hong Kong with most of their multipliers being made in Japan by a company called Chuyo but a small few reels were made by Olympic and Ryobi; a few were made in (South) Korea. The Ryobi LX01 was the go-to reel back in the mid to late 1970s for any company wishing to add a small skirted type to their range as they were becoming all the rage back then. I have a Winfield marked "Bait Caster" too - it is actually a closed face spincast reel. If you need info on any specific models I will try to help.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Stingray wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm [quote=Willsmodger post_id=374538

It was always a big thing in the USA, Sears, for example stocked some good stuff. I love it when Lidl get fishing gear and I do the proverbial kid in a candy shop thing but it is now about 3 or 4 years since they did. Aldi do get tackle in from time to time - I bought my fishing brolly, and a really good and excellent value fishing chair from Aldi too.
The fishing chair would be of interest. Tired of lugging around my JRC, which weighs the same as the Titanic, I invested £30 from a lightweight one from Go Outdoors. The frame is made from polycarbonate and it's certainly a lot lighter. I've used it four times so far.
However, yesterday there was an ominous cracking noise as I sat down. There didn't seem to be a problem but I have yet to investigate.
I also lurk on the BFW forum, and Aldi and Lidl special buys are a regular feature there. I've read of some cracking bargains. I'm glad someone got the benefit.

All the best.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Woolies Tackle ... question , was it cheap? from memory it wasn’t much cheaper . But you were able to touch it , look at it without being engaged in tackle shop chit chat ( which some poeople prefer not to have) . We always thought that it was fun fishing tackle and real anglers went to tackle shops

Personally I loved it in woolies in the 70s especially on holiday when we got our one and only Sea Rod .. “ The Salt-fisher “which broke and was repaired with Arldite ...

I had a roach fisher rod years later . It was ok , but quite flimsy .

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Tench Dreamer wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:15 am Woolies Tackle ... question , was it cheap? from memory it wasn’t much cheaper . But you were able to touch it , look at it without being engaged in tackle shop chit chat ( which some poeople prefer not to have) . We always thought that it was fun fishing tackle and real anglers went to tackle shops

Personally I loved it in woolies in the 70s especially on holiday when we got our one and only Sea Rod .. “ The Salt-fisher “which broke and was repaired with Arldite ...

I had a roach fisher rod years later . It was ok , but quite flimsy .

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Great advert! Confirmation of the Pritchard link that I hadn't seen before!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Willsmodger wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:48 am The fishing chair would be of interest.
3 year warranty.

I've just discovered they still have them on-line https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-fishing-ch ... 0189837700

Just taken a look at mine and the box says approx 4kg.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

3 year warranty.

I've just discovered they still have them on-line https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-fishing-ch ... 0189837700

Just taken a look at mine and the box says approx 4kg.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. For 19.99 it's worth investing as a spare. It's free delivery over £20 so I feel the need to refresh my sock drawer. Although I'll take a good mooch on their site later on jic.

Cheers, much appreciated.

Return to “Other Reels”