Fly/Salmon reel identification

The Other Reels forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Fly/Salmon reel identification

Post by Harry H »

Olly wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:30 pm I am glad someone else has noticed that!

I have an old Farlows catalogue- pre-WWII - and there is nothing like it in that - most reels being pretty 'modern' looking.

My catalogue refers to:-
C Farlow & Co Ltd
11 Panton Street
Haymarket

So I hope someone can date it!
What edition is it Olly?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

I thought is was made from a casting at first, but after study of the clear photos, I am fairly sure that this was made from two solid billets of metal-by someone who knew his way around machine tools. The metal corrosion would be typically common for aluminium based alloys of the Inter-War period or older.
It is rather basic, but also suggests that the maker was a careful worker with an eye for detail, neatness of finish and proportion. He put his own initials on his work because this was made for himself and probably just one of a kind, made for personal use-but that is conjecture..
The overall finish is rather better than many others of this kind and rather unusual to see in many ways.

All-in-all, something nice to keep.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

No idea - no front or back cover and starts at page vii!

"Holdfast" logo on 1st page with Contents of Sections - ending with page K16 Mikasa safety pocket heater and bag for 2/- : Tin of charcoal discs 1/3 - postage 6d extra.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Olly wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 pm No idea - no front or back cover and starts at page vii!

"Holdfast" logo on 1st page with Contents of Sections - ending with page K16 Mikasa safety pocket heater and bag for 2/- : Tin of charcoal discs 1/3 - postage 6d extra.
Have a look where the rod section finishes and the reel section begins, there's normally a page advertising their coarse and sea catalogue which gives an edition number.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Not noticed that -
"Due to increase in tackle ----------- catalogue in 2 parts -------
PIKE SEA AND GENERAL FISHING RODS & TACKLE -- ASK FOR SPECIAL CATALOGUE - 93RD EDITION NO2"

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Olly wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:31 pm Not noticed that -
"Due to increase in tackle ----------- catalogue in 2 parts -------
PIKE SEA AND GENERAL FISHING RODS & TACKLE -- ASK FOR SPECIAL CATALOGUE - 93RD EDITION NO2"
93rd edition would put it circ 1938
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Interesting - thanks for that. Complete except for about the front 6 or so pages & cover. Possibly the same loss at the back.

Farlows Lake at Iver, showing the casting platform and marking board as well as the houseboat, are shown in B & W photos.

It also shows and describes in great detail the "correct use" of an Aerial - salmon spinning!

Roachy
Bleak

Post by Roachy »

Thanks guys.I,d love to have all catalogues that you lot own.
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

Return to “Other Reels”