Adcock Stanton, any thoughts on the value of this reel?

The Other Reels forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Adcock Stanton, any thoughts on the value of this reel?

Post by Tengisgol »

I was passed this reel by a gentleman who wouldn't be using it anymore but, to be honest, it is surplus to my requirements. Does anyone have any thoughts on its value. It's in good condition. I don't think it has had a great deal of use and (yes I know it's about torque not time) but, after a drop of sewing machine oil on the spindle, it was still spinning on its bearings after two minutes!

What might it be worth? Thanks in anticipation.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

SeanM
Tench

Re: Adcock Stanton, any thoughts on the value of this reel?

Post by SeanM »

I sold a boxed one in good condition with all the paperwork and the tool for £90. I've seen them go for prices from around £70 to around £110.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Last time I looked they were about £80 to maybe £100 Phil. But don't sell it without trying it mate, I still reckon they're one of the best trotting reels out there. They spin nicely and retrieve well as a hefty bat of the spool with recover loads of line. I also like the knurled edge to the spool, it gives you a really accurate control when letting the float go or when checking a running fish - great for the Wye...... or Leeds city centre :Wink:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It seems to be the one with the drag in the centre of the spool - which makes it more unusual. Does it have a ratchet as not all do have one? It could make £120+. Size? Width? All make a difference in price.

5" ones without handles are designed for trotting (they all are) but the addition of handles, ratchet & drag also enables ledgering - usually 4.5dia.

As said above an excellent trotting reel - I have 3 variants.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I'd also give it a go, its a cracker, has it a ratchet fitted?
A later original one and one of the best bearing c/p made. I've a collection of about 4/5, including one of each each type that, I take to most fairs and on occasions, Ipickone out and use it.
If you've got the box, instructions, tool, you'll be looking at around £90 - £105'ish

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Thanks chaps. It's 4.5 inches and doesn't have a ratchet. No box or tool sadly. So it sounds like it's worth about £90 or maybe even a little more given the model. It feels like a weighty tool - which makes it solid!

Like Dave suggested, the knurled edge reminded me of my first centrepin, which was a Leeds Lewtham, and that had the knurled edge which helped immensely in feeling a float out in heavy water (Avon and Wye). Rob has one of these and he has always liked it.

The good news is that I do have a second one (which has been hanging around for years and unused by me also), which is not in the same condition but I've just replaced the bearings and which I was planning to try sometime. I'll ponder things but may end up selling the one in the photo. I think I must have at least ten pins now and it does seem a little excessive!

Thanks again all.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Looking up and counting it seems I have about 25+. Never too many pins!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Looking at the picture, it appears to have the plastic reel seat , not alloy, which would make it a later model.I have a similar one, the reels seat is identical, and actually stronger than first appears .

Nice reel.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Old Man River wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:59 am Looking at the picture, it appears to have the plastic reel seat , not alloy, which would make it a later model.I have a similar one, the reels seat is identical, and actually stronger than first appears .

Nice reel.

OMR
Yes that's right OMR.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I think the later models with the plastic reel seats actually fetch a bit less than 90 on eBay .About 70 to 75 is probably a more accurate figure.
It's easy to look them up on completed items.
It will also cost about another £10 to sell it.

Return to “Other Reels”