Adcock Stanton, any thoughts on the value of this reel?

The Other Reels forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Adcock Stanton, any thoughts on the value of this reel?

Post by Tengisgol »

Match Aerial wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:41 am I think the later models with the plastic reel seats actually fetch a bit less than 90 on eBay .About 70 to 75 is probably a more accurate figure.
It's easy to look them up on completed items.
It will also cost about another £10 to sell it.
Thank-you!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Mostly, but not entirely, for sentimental reasons I prefer the original Reynolds versions, chipped aluminium and all. I have two 4" and 5", the latter with a drag rather than a ratchet. I find the modern post-Adcock ones too 'glossy'.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

The reel is named after the Stanton Ironworks, a formerly huge complex of iron and steel manufacturing just south of Ilkeston, where Harry Reynolds the original designer and maker (in his garden shed) of these reels worked. The works finally closed in 2007 and since then has been partly demolished or become derelict. Lots of fancy plans have been proposed for development on the site but, despite claims that if the develoment took place 'the Erewash Valley could even become the new Silicon Valley of the East Midlands', it's likely that it would be far too costly because of the lack of existing infrastructure and contamination of the site resulting from the previous use. More (and a video of the derelict site) here: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/l ... st-1578514 and general stuff here, including videos, https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ActR4vZe98
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Match Aerial wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:41 am I think the later models with the plastic reel seats actually fetch a bit less than 90 on eBay .About 70 to 75 is probably a more accurate figure.
It's easy to look them up on completed items.
It will also cost about another £10 to sell it.
I've just run check on eBay completed items and you are spot on! I'm going to offer the reel here I think, to TFF members, at £75 including postage before I try and sell elsewhere. I will place that in the correct section but if anyone is interested and PM's me first then its first come first served!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

I bought a new 4.5in black Stanton new in the eighties and used it regularly for trotting but, having subsequently acquire several other pins decided to offer it to a friend for 60 pounds who had stated that he wanted a good float trotting reel. Despite seeing him on many occasions fishing the river over the following couple of years he never seemed to be using it! When asked why he said that a good friend of his had 'pestered' him for it so he sold it on. Methinks he rather saw an opportunity to make a few quid at the time so I am a bit more circumspect these days!
I think your price is very fair Phil.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

I bought a new 4.5in black Stanton new in the eighties and used it regularly for trotting but, having subsequently acquired several other pins decided to offer it to a friend for 60 pounds who had stated that he wanted a good float trotting reel. Despite seeing him on many occasions fishing the river over the following couple of years he never seemed to be using it! When asked why he said that a good friend of his had 'pestered' him for it so he sold it on. Methinks he rather saw an opportunity to make a few quid at the time so I am a bit more circumspect these days!
I think your price is very fair Phil.

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

My biggest regret tackle wise is selling my black Adcock Stanton, for reasons which now escape me.
River trips were special because I could trot a float with it. This was before I realised a centrepin is the very best tool for close in stillwater fishing.
They will still be going strong after the Chinese imports have long worn out.
It's odd to think at one time I owned what for me are the big four. The Stanton, Abu 506, Mitchell Match and the 300.
They all performed perfectly well, and whilst I can appreciate memory is selective, after sorting out yet another tangle with line wrapped around the rotor and handles on a reel from a very well known Japanese reel manufacturer, it struck me that they weren't as much trouble either.
All the best.
Will.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Luckily Will I still have the other 3 you mention (several of each in fact!) plus of course that other 'must have', the ABU 54/55 reels. They are all used regularly and in fact have just returned from a session using the ABU 506. I don't possess any modern fixed spool reel with the youngest being one of the late Mitchell Match reels.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

In total agreement the Abu closed face reels are without equal when stick float fishing. In my view the ultimate river float reel

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Hi all.
Since my last post I've invested in a Mitchell Match. Together with my Abu's and Sheffield pin, I'm well and truly sorted float fishing wise.
Legering is a thinker, I like the baitrunner function because I can set it very loose and flick it on when rebaiting with a feeder.
On the other hand,fishing the Severn, one bite all day on a lump of pepparami was missed. If I had hooked the fish I would have been in trouble as I had an unholy birds nest at the reel end.
I'm not entirely sure why, I'm prepared to admit incompetence in spooling up (actually I've found under filling the spool helps, otherwise line tends to spring off)
Or it could be the free running nature of these modern reels, plus the excess of switches, levers etc, all contributing to snagging line.
I'm thinking about going old school for legering, I think I can appreciate now why the vintage reels seem so much stiffer than the modern stuff. So that they behave and stay still whilst in the rest for longer periods of time. Doh!
All the best.
Will.

Return to “Other Reels”