Milwards Magnacast .

The Other Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

Milwards Magnacast .

Post by Keston »

Hi
Would anyone have any maintenance information or service thoughts for the Milwards Magnacast ?
It in good condition but I've not seen anything like it so don't want to ruin it by lubricating in the wrong places or not lubricating somewhere I should ?
Kind regards
John

Duckett
Tench

Re: Milwards Magnacast .

Post by Duckett »

Keston wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:45 pm Hi
Would anyone have any maintenance information or service thoughts for the Milwards Magnacast ?
It in good condition but I've not seen anything like it so don't want to ruin it by lubricating in the wrong places or not lubricating somewhere I should ?
Kind regards
John
Hi Keston,

I have a Magnacast but not the informtion. Mine has lost all it’s paint and was very tight when I got it so I stripped it down and, to be frank, aside from the clever automatic opening and closing of the half-bail, it seems pretty basic and agricultural to me! I pretty much oiled everything and then put it back together. It was still a bit tight when winding.

I tried a few things but the one that got it turning freely again was a thin film of reel grease along the shaft from the main gear to lubricate between it and where it passes through the reel body cover for the handle to be fitted. I’ve used it about 4 times since then and all I’ve done is unscrew the bolt that fixes the handle to the winding shaft and insert a drop or two of oil. On mine This has “OIL” clearly stamped on it. Let me know if you’d like me to post pictures - I’m no engineer so my use of technical language is often as agricultural as the Magnacast. As it now works to my satisfaction I’ll repeat the greasing of the shaft when she gets stiff again. Hope that helps, though if anyone knows better, I’d also love to hear!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Phil
Thanks for the response.
I think I have probably done the same as you did and lubricated all the obvious places inside and then the oil port in the handle shaft.
I had a good look at the main shaft which holds the reciprocating as it's a very curious arrangement and hopefully Ive lubricated the right bits .
This one is in quite good condition and very smooth . May I ask what colour yours was ? There isn't much information about but there is a thread on here .
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... st#p248772

Mine is black but looks original paint . They are quite basic but with some clever touches . Did you notice the ratchet arrangement under the spool ?
John

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Hi John,

I don’t have your experience but I found the entire reel unusual! I picked it up for peanuts and then only to match it with my Milward’s light spinning rod.

Sadly, I can’t even guess at the original colour as someone stripped every trace of paint off it before I got it.

I did look at the thread you identify after I obtained my Magnacast. Both the half-bail mechanism and the ratchet mechanism on the spool are different on mine.

I wondered if Milward’s made this reel or bought it in. In the small details, it looks nothing like any fixed spool I’ve ever seen.

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Phil
Interesting that yours is different, mind has the same configuration as the one that was repainted .
There are similarities with an Allcocks superb . It's not the same but similar in many ways. The bail on mine is similar to an early Ambidex too .
I think it's possible it's a J.W. Youngs made reel but I'm just guessing .
If you have a photo handy I would like to see your reel .
John

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Hi John,

2 pictures below, which I hope show up the differences. Taking the spool off this time, I do wonder if that’s a touch of red paint aerosol spray on the counterweight.

ImageImage

Cheers,

Phil

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks Phil, I can see the differences.
John

Return to “Other Reels”