Re - discovering the Daiwa No.7500

The Other Reels forum.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re - discovering the Daiwa No.7500

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello and a Happy New Year!

At the Netherhampton Sporting Auction last year I bid for some reels. In among the lot was this fine Beauty, after giving a service and clean up it runs like a treat. In the 1970 Milbro Catalogue it is described as a light sea or large freshwater spinning reel. I was going to use it for Pike and Carp fishing, pairinf it with the Butchered Cane featured in an earlier post. A good match hopefully. I'm fishing the River Test in 2 weeks time, so I can try it for Pike there.

:Hat:

Last edited by Tonytoned on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tigernuts
Ruffe

Re: Re - discovering the Daiwa No.7500

Post by Tigernuts »

A perfect chunky reel. Ideal for pikeing,I used the largest model 7700 for bass fishing many years ago,A Good Trouble Free Reel,The 7500 is a bit heavy for the new rods now days ,it was used with those ist hollow glass rods,like in the Milbro range .On that rod of yours perfect .Just a suggestion put some backing on the Spool as you will find its rather narrow,100 yds 12/15lb line ,should do it for the test ,it's such a beautiful River..A wobbled Sprat perhaps .....Its nearly always down to the water conditions ,the being there will be nice , will be pleased to know how you get on .

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Tigernuts wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 am A perfect chunky reel. Ideal for pikeing,I used the largest model 7700 for bass fishing many years ago,A Good Trouble Free Reel,The 7500 is a bit heavy for the new rods now days ,it was used with those ist hollow glass rods,like in the Milbro range .On that rod of yours perfect .Just a suggestion put some backing on the Spool as you will find its rather narrow,100 yds 12/15lb line ,should do it for the test ,it's such a beautiful River..A wobbled Sprat perhaps .....Its nearly always down to the water conditions ,the being there will be nice , will be pleased to know how you get on .
Thank you Tigernuts. I have a bulk spool of 12lb line to load up on it. It is interesting about the other models. In the catalogue it shows a few of that type of reel. Will try the wobbled sprat.

:Thumb:

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Very nice combo.....your a master butcher looking at the result of that rod...very well done!

I have a number of old Daiwa reels,all work very well.
I hope the pike are hungry look forward to seeing the report.

All the best
Nige.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

TrentFisher wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm Very nice combo.....your a master butcher looking at the result of that rod...very well done!

I have a number of old Daiwa reels,all work very well.
I hope the pike are hungry look forward to seeing the report.

All the best
Nige.
Thank you a Nige. I will keep my eye out for more daiwa reels. The report will be posted shortly after the River Test weekender on the 19th & th 20 January.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

A great reel for pike I would say. I have several of the Daiwa 7000 series - circa mid 1970s and very significantly the series which introduced the excellent spring-loaded drag and put Daiwa up there as a cutting edge manufacturer. This YT playlist may be of interest - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... HNxepBZSzo

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I have the Southpaw version (7600?) and seem to remember that the clutch is very smooth, even at low settings. Give it a try, you might find it good for light lines, on rods that need a bigger reel to balance them nicely, as well as its more obvious uses.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Stingray wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:56 pm A great reel for pike I would say. I have several of the Daiwa 7000 series - circa mid 1970s and very significantly the series which introduced the excellent spring-loaded drag and put Daiwa up there as a cutting edge manufacturer. This YT playlist may be of interest - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... HNxepBZSzo
Thanks Stingray. Just had a look at the playlist very interesting thank you for that. In will keep my eye out for more of these daiwa reels.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Vole wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:47 am I have the Southpaw version (7600?) and seem to remember that the clutch is very smooth, even at low settings. Give it a try, you might find it good for light lines, on rods that need a bigger reel to balance them nicely, as well as its more obvious uses.
I have to agree Vole, the reel is beautifully smooth and I can't wait to try it out. Many thanks.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

I've been collecting these for quite a while now (much to the amusement of some fellow members YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !) I'll pop a post up and some pics when I get a chance end of next week. I love mine and they are my go to fixed spool reels :Hat:

Return to “Other Reels”