Pezon et Michel Luxor Luxe dating

The Other Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Pezon et Michel Luxor Luxe dating

Post by Duckett »

OldTackle wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm Ah, Sorry same rod but wrong thread. That's the one:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16636&hilit=luxor+500
On page two you can see it coupled with my version of the Luxor reel.
Lovely looking set up that!

My, admittedly cursory and very limited, reading suggests that Pezon et Michel made rods long before they first started making the reels in the 1940s. Even then, they made the reels under licence.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Duckett wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 pm
OldTackle wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm Ah, Sorry same rod but wrong thread. That's the one:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16636&hilit=luxor+500
On page two you can see it coupled with my version of the Luxor reel.
Lovely looking set up that!

My, admittedly cursory and very limited, reading suggests that Pezon et Michel made rods long before they first started making the reels in the 1940s. Even then, they made the reels under licence.
All information welcome - that's part of it, isn't it? Thank you. So, even more impressive, I think, that they made a manual/automatic bail arm long before the others did... and that is working perfectly! So smooth and silent both, manual and automatic. Lovely! That is also for the anti-reverse. Where all the other reels have a pin that blocks a gear at one point, here there is a backwards tensioning spring around the axle under the rotor that engages at EVERY position. Much like the modern reels do. As mentioned not up to ultimate force but really quite strong and way enough for modern lines and fine tackle... I like that really much.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

SeanM wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 pm The first appearance I can find is in a 1957 edition of the Alex Martin catalogue.

Wal.
Now that's interesting (and slightly off-topic!) Take a look at the Swiss-made Monti Super below the Luxor. Did Harrington buy the design for le Omnia do you think? Rather explains the curiously French name.
Sean, the Monti Super has no actual picture of the reel. The Omnia shown, has its description below the reel. I probably should have shown the whole page.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Heres a few pics from a Farlows 1960 catalogue. Always nice clear photos of the reels in their books.

Right click on pic and choose "open in new tab" for enlargements.

Wal.

ImageImage

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I got interested in Crack reels particularly because of the Crack Contact 400 model. As a consequence I also picked up up a crack 100 and a Pizon & Mitchel which were sold together and are so similar sharing the most of the same components. There must have been some relationship between Crack and Pizon & Mitchel at one time. Both the crack and P&M are very well made with a nice bale arm system and front drag.

Crack 100

Pizon & Mitchel

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 am Heres a few pics from a Farlows 1960 catalogue. Always nice clear photos of the reels in their books.

Wal.
Thanks for this Wal. The information on unscrewing the line roller and moving it might come in useful one day!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Phil Arnott wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 pm There must have been some relationship between Crack and Pizon & Mitchel at one time. Both the crack and P&M are very well made with a nice bale arm system and front drag.
I read somewhere (and now I'm kicking myself because I can't remember where), that Paul Mauborgne, who designed the Luxor reels, moved on to Crack after he finished with Pezon et Michel. It may have been the link Luga00 posted for me https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... ell-luxor/ .

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Duckett wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:25 am Heres a few pics from a Farlows 1960 catalogue. Always nice clear photos of the reels in their books.

Wal.
Thanks for this Wal. The information on unscrewing the line roller and moving it might come in useful one day!
Yes Phil, a good tip which also applies to the Altex and a few other reels which suffer from cut line rollers.

Wal.

Return to “Other Reels”