Diawa 7290 D

The Other Reels forum.
Trainset
Gudgeon

Diawa 7290 D

Post by Trainset »

Hi,
Ive not been on here for a while so hello one and all. I've just picked up a Diawa 7290 D reel and I have an issue with the drag. I watched the youtube video of the reel being demonstrated and like the sound and look of it so thought I would have a go with one. My problem is the front drag goes from locked tight to free spool in less than half a turn and there is no sound as the line is dragged.
Anti reverse and bail arm work fine, sounds lovely when winding in.
Would this be because someone has messed about to turn it into a quick drag reel at some point and does anyone know how easily I can return this reel to its original state.
Any info appreciated as this is my first Diawa reel.
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

SeanM
Tench

Re: Diawa 7290 D

Post by SeanM »

Sounds like you're missing some drag washers. have a close look beneath the drag nut and you should be able to work out what size you need. A single ptfe washer of the right size will probably do the trick. If you're not getting a click then either the clicker is missing or its spring has gone. This might be a difficult fix.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Ah. Schematic here:

https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-sche ... #gsc.tab=0

Looks like the only drag washer is under the spool.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Thank you for that. I am certainly missing one washer. I have a Diawa maintenance and parts catalogue for 30 odd reels but not the one I have! That link is really helpful I will try and get it working to its former glory!

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

If I'm not mistaken the 7290D lacks the spring-loaded drag of the 7300 and up, thus the drag is less sensitive and the missing washer will likely prove more terminal just as you have found.

PS. Also remember when putting the washers in the spool that the top one needs to be the one that locks to the main shaft/axle so that it and the drag knob stay still when the spool turns otherwise the knob will turn with the spool till it locks.

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

I appear to be missing a spool washer part number 63746402 and the oscillating slider 64810201 and the oscillating slider pin 61216301. Not sure if this will resolve the front drag issue and give that nice clicking sound like I get from my Mitchel 304.

Does anyone have one of these reel they could have a look at and see if I'm missing anything else or anyone know who or where I can source parts for?
Any help greatly appreciated. I attach some photos of the reel with the spool off.
Actually I cant as the file is saying it s to big for each photo... I tried … I failed...

Return to “Other Reels”