DIAWA I'm not sure how this happened

The Other Reels forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: DIAWA I'm not sure how this happened

Post by Lea Dweller »

BobTheFloat wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 am
Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 am It is probably worth getting a table at Redditch or Romsey if you are downsizing?
Definitely something to think about Ted I'm looking at off loading a fair bit this year :Thumb:
It is definitely worth it, if you can find someone to share the tables(s) and journey costs you will enjoy it even more!

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

good quality reels at cheap prices. I agree I think they will only become more collectable :Hat:
[/quote]

I agree about build quality, can i ask do you use all the reels you collect for a session or just build up a collection?
I only have a few as and so far I used my abu 505 for a year then got a mitchel an dhave used taht for about 8 month and now i have started on the daiwa which im waiting to turn up and see how it fishes.
Im just curious as to how many of these reels get used or just restored?
I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Trainset wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:01 pm good quality reels at cheap prices. I agree I think they will only become more collectable :Hat:
I agree about build quality, can i ask do you use all the reels you collect for a session or just build up a collection?
I only have a few as and so far I used my abu 505 for a year then got a mitchel an dhave used taht for about 8 month and now i have started on the daiwa which im waiting to turn up and see how it fishes.
Im just curious as to how many of these reels get used or just restored?
[/quote]

To be perfectly honest I started buying them as I just loved the look and feel of them and noticed that no one was using them. I brought up as many of my favourite models cheap as I just know they will be in demand one day and I've already seen prices slowly creeping up. My favourite reels are the 7300 in various forms. The rest have been packed away safely to grow in value much to the amusement of some fellow members :Chuckle:

Willsmodger
Rudd

Post by Willsmodger »

Heroic collection.

Function over form. Mates are hopeless, how many would rather use the gear to be seen with, rather than making their own decisions about what is the best for them?

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Lovely collection... you'll have to now move on to Roddy, Diamond Super, Columbian and other quality Japanese reels of the 60's / 70's!
Good to hear that other people get 'The Look', but my justification is they'll all be used, (if I live and fish long enough), are an investment, and argue that it doesn't equate to a collection until it's above 100. (My friend offered this latter advice as an argument. It didn't work). Can't have too many reels to try out until you find favourites, and then you need others for spares.

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Hi Bob the float, are the 7300 a larger reel an do you think these models are better quality?

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Trainset wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:07 pm Hi Bob the float, are the 7300 a larger reel an do you think these models are better quality?
I think the 7300b models are the best all round size there's no difference between the b and the a the h is the gold/ beige version and has a higher retrieve rate.
I also use the standard 7300 which is slightly smaller.
I use the standard 7300 with lines to 5lb but the more solid sturdy A,B,H reels I've put 6-15lb If you would like I could put pics up of each model which I jave mentioned above :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

:shocked: Noooooooooooo! :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Trainset
Gudgeon

Post by Trainset »

Hi Bob the foat,
yes please to pictures and any info on parts etc would be great.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

BobTheFloat wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:40 pm A few years back me and the wife were wandering around a carboot sale when something caught my eye.
It was a yellow and black box with Diawa 7600 printed on it. I opened the box and inside was a lovely brown fixed spool reel I'd never seen before and it looked like it had never been used. I think this was just before I joined the forum and was starting to take an interest in older fishing tackle. It had an £8 price tag I asked the bloke what his best on it would be and he said " that's been out for the last couple of weeks and no one's show any interest you can have it for £3 " I thanked him payed him his £3 and walked away very happy. The fact it was old but looked brand new and shiney really appealed to me. You could tell it was well made ,very solid and quite heavy.

This was the reel that started it all off.
Since then I've seen many of the 7000 series reels and two models have become my favourite. The 7300, which came in standard, A,B,H, HA models
And the 7600 ,7600H I do have some of the smaller versions and diawa made larger models like the 7700 which is a lovely reel and has a unique side plate design.
I'm no expert in these reels but just took and interest one day and it went from there. I've only found snippets of information while searching the web on these classic reels.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23449#p319422
I get a fair bit of stick from my mates about my little collection but I care not. I believe they are very underrated reels and to me they look stunning. They were built to last and the clutches are so smooth and make a fantastic sound when a large fish is ripping line from them!. I don't use fixed spools much these days but when I do it will be more than likely I'll be using one of these. I haven't been able to find out exactly where in Japan or Korea these were made or what years the slight differences in shape or models were made. Some have black spools and handles and some have a dark maroon colour. I did however hear a rumour about the golden H models. Such is there elegance and beauty Mr Yoshio Matsui the founder of diawa hand picked the best samurai sword makers he could find and travelled up Mount Akita Komagatake shortly after its eruption in 1971 and forged them in the molten lava. But that was whispered to me by a Chinese chap :secret:

It was only today that I found out exactly what I had much to mine and the wife's surprise!

Any offers on a job lot please p.m me :laugh1:
I showed this post to my brother as it sparked a memory. He though that he and our Mum both used these for many years for their beachcasting. In his words, "Large, heavy, maroon-brown and the best fixed spool sea reel we ever used." As a result, we spent a very pleasant hour or so reminiscing about our learning beachcasting in the early 1970s. His PB with his was a 25lb+ conger eel off the rocks at Moelfre, Ynys Mon. We thought Mum's was large pollock off the end of Holyhead Breakwater - I say large, as we remember that it made a huge, and very tasty, fish pie for 5 of us with lots left over!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Reels”