Winfield

The Other Reels forum.
Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Winfield

Post by Vole »

Put: woolworths winfield fishing tackle into a search engine and you'll find loads of nostalgic threads, some very evocative adverts, and some hard-nosed accounts of the P.R. manoeuvres that Woolies were involved in.

A chap called Mike Pritchard was, iirc, involved in getting them to aim high and price low, in the early days, at least; this resulted in some fine (for the day) blanks hitting the market (rather later, tricked out in fairly rubbish fittings -those in the know gave them a quick upgrade...) but the stuff before and after his influence was, er, not terribly good. This is why some people rave about Winfield kit, and others blush that they ever went in the shop and came out with alleged "fishing tackle".

I think Mr. Pritchard was in the magic circle that revolved around "Angling" magazine and Peek's tackle shop, so his input was considerable, and high quality; if anyone more intimately associated with him, or the trade, knows more, I for one would love to hear.

Health warning: my Winfield "Roach Fisher"* (a 21st century charity-shop find) gave me a trivial-but-annoying glass-fibre micro-splinter after handling the spigot, so if you find one, give the unvarnished bits a rub with a cloth (which you then bin!!!) and maybe a rub with a candle, to hold any loose bits down.
That probably goes for any entry-level glass rod that seems unused.

*Something else to use on a "seventies day", alongside my Shakey "Match International" combo!

And yes, if it had two centres, it would be a magic ellipse...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

A spin fisher was my second reel ever, bought it brand new from Woolies in Aylesbury. The first was a shameful,horrid little blue thing like an Intrepid black prince only more crappy. Winfield did some reasonable kit,some known anglers had input into the rod design I seem to recall.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

My first reel was a spinfisher too.

Gaz

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Well, it arrived today, condition is even better than I'd hoped for. A little rub on the foot where it's been on a rod but otherwise clean as a whistle.
Here in time for the Old Estate Lake trip too, so happy days.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

LuckyLuca wrote:Well, it arrived today, condition is even better than I'd hoped for. A little rub on the foot where it's been on a rod but otherwise clean as a whistle.
Here in time for the Old Estate Lake trip too, so happy days.
Lucky here's another to go with it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Winfield-Dial ... 4d0e16aa03
niceroach

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Woolworth's/Winfield were the best thing to happen for getting youngsters into this great pastime of ours. Granny or Auntie didn't feel intimidated picking little Johnny a birthday or Christmas present up from Woolworths in the same way as they did walking into a fishing tackle shop. It was one of the worst things to happen to the tackle trade Woolworths stopping their fishing tackle section. It wasn't competition for the shops it was promotion of the sport for the shops and little Johnny after having his first taste of angling would soon be spending his pocket money and later his wages in the tackle shops.
Fond memories, I used to purchase odd bits from the Woolworths in Long Eaton. Fond memories and that long open sweet counter was brilliant! A tub of shot, a spool of line and 2oz of mixed sweets!

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Just found in my box of bits a copy of a Woolworths Stores catalogue. Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Wow days gone bye

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Nice find Steve!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Thats great Steve, anyone care to hazard a guess at a date of publication?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Mid to late 50s?

Return to “Other Reels”