Minnow for trout

This forum is for discussing trout.
Pallenpool
Chub

Re: Minnow for trout

Post by Pallenpool » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:55 pm

I think that would be a very good idea - when it comes to fly fishing I’m mostly all at sea - some worthy advice I am sure will develop on a new thread - as I have said Trout are not for the faint hearted when pursuing using a float and bait - catching them in the past when angling for other species has left me on occasion very sad indeed.
Peter
:Hat:

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 pm

You could also fly fish using a bubble float and trot using normal coarse fishing tackle. The main purpose of fly line is to add weight to the cast, so fly line can easily be substituted with a bubble float or similar. Pheasant tail nymph etc trotted this way is actually a traditional method you'll find in quite a few traditional fishing books, and it allows good presentation especially under down stream bushes.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

BreadFlake
Dace

Post by BreadFlake » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Santiago wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:09 pm
You could also fly fish using a bubble float and trot using normal coarse fishing tackle. The main purpose of fly line is to add weight to the cast, so fly line can easily be substituted with a bubble float or similar. Pheasant tail nymph etc trotted this way is actually a traditional method you'll find in quite a few traditional fishing books, and it allows good presentation especially under down stream bushes.
I didn't know that Santiago, thank you. I really fancy getting into proper fly fishing now though, if that makes sense? It's definitely something to read about though, even if it's just for the history around it.

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Have you thought of using circle hooks, I have used them extensively for sea fishing and apart from whiting they invariably hook into the scissors.

JW

Olly
Catfish

Post by Olly » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Santiago - Regional Bye Laws differ across the country. These are for the South East Region:-

In the Thames byelaw area when fishing for salmon, trout, or rainbow trout during the
annual close season for coarse fish (15 March – 15 June dates inclusive), you may only
fish with an artificial fly or lure. A minnow taken in a minnow trap for use as bait in the
waters from which it was taken is also permitted but requires the previous written consent
of the Environment Agency.
This is a regional byelaw.

In the Southern byelaw area during the annual close season for coarse fish (15 March – 15 June
dates inclusive), no person shall fish with rod and line for salmon, migratory trout or non-migratory
trout (including rainbow trout), other than with artificial fly or lure, without the previous written
consent of the Environment Agency. This is a regional byelaw

It could be very different in other Regions.

Liphook
Crucian Carp

Post by Liphook » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:53 pm

I'm of very similar opinion to that of Shaun Harrison on the previous page. Indeed it would be easy to imagine that fly-fishing was actually invented as a conservation measure because of the trouts gullibility to bait! However I also recognise the skill involved in methods such as 'upstream worming' and the 'drop minnow' and of course the right for us all to fish in our own preferred way using allowed methods. 'Float and fly' is perhaps the trade off required in tight swims where casting a flyline can't be accommodated or as in the use of 'bubble and fly' I saw in Ireland where the distances involved preclude all but tournament casters. Trout can be very gung-ho and ridiculously easy to catch at times but at many more times leave me believing that their eyesight is amongst the very best in the natural world. One thing for sure is that the name of 'brown trout' vastly understates their utter beauty! Enjoy your fishing :Hat:

Shropshire Lad
Roach

Post by Shropshire Lad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:59 pm

I would recommend fly fishing start with the wet fly casting downstream and across letting the current drag it around, the feeling of catching your first fish on the fly is something else and it is addictive and so much more enjoyable than bait fishing. stick to tried and tested patterns like march browns and greenwells glory etc.

Olly
Catfish

Post by Olly » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:02 pm

This appears to be the Yorkshire Byelaws;-

3D LURES AND BAITS
No person shall between the 14th day of March and the 16th day of June following (both dates exclusive)
use in connection with fishing with rod and line in any river, stream, drain or other water where the close
season for freshwater fish applies any lures or baits except natural or artificial fly, minnow, worm, shrimp,
prawn, sand-eel or artificial lure without the permission in writing of the Agency
Byelaw No 5 made on 12th March 2001 and confirmed on 11th may 2001.
(The provisions of Byelaw 8B .3. of this booklet apply to this byelaw

BreadFlake
Dace

Post by BreadFlake » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Shropshire Lad wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:59 pm
I would recommend fly fishing start with the wet fly casting downstream and across letting the current drag it around, the feeling of catching your first fish on the fly is something else and it is addictive and so much more enjoyable than bait fishing. stick to tried and tested patterns like march browns and greenwells glory etc.
After the advice given in this thread, this is what I intend to. To be quite honest, I'm actually really excited for the Trout season now, new type of fishing, new venue, and new fish. :Ok:

Duebel
Eel

Post by Duebel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 pm

If you, very hypothetically spoken, wanted to target trout with a live bait minnow, Billy Lane's Trout Trotter would be the float of choice for the traditional fisherman.
Well, if you wanted to catch trout for the table, deep hooking wouldn't be a problem of course. But if it was only for catching your first ever trout, I recommend to follow the advice, you've been given here and start to learn fly fishing. It's quite straight forward really. Of course you make a lot of fuss about it, but in the end you'll catch even with medicore casting skills, cheap tackle and scruffy flies. (It works quite well for me)
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “Trout (Salmo trutta)”