River Wensum (Will's first day on a millpool)

This forum belongs to the River Wensum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

River Wensum (Will's first day on a millpool)

Post by Tengisgol »

We managed a couple of hours this morning and had a lovely time, Will is nine years old. I asked him to write up the trip for his holiday scrapbook and he did (what I consider to be) such a lovely job I thought I would share it:

When I got up at 6:00 I felt really tired. I jumped out of bed and got dressed. It was still dark when I got up and I could hardly see a thing.
We drove to a little car park just by the side of the road. We crossed the road and got tackled up. We were trotting a little float that Daddy had made across a wonderful mill pool. After about ten minutes my float bobbed and then went under, it was pulling very hard and it nearly got into the tree but a lot of side-strain kept it out and we landed it. It turned out to be a nice Chub of about 2lb. We took a photo of the Chub and released it back into the mill pool via the side stream.
Although, soon after it started hammering down with rain. We fished on for a little bit but it just got too bad. We left the rod and reel and sat in the boot of the car for a while hearing the pitter patter of rain and the clonk as acorns took over the car.
After it stopped hammering it we started fishing again. Soon we were into a second Chub; we reeled it in and unhooked it. It wasn’t as big as the last one but still a nice fish.
Soon after that though the fish stopped feeding, we put in some more bread and that got them feeding again. After a while we hooked another fish. This one we knew was 'mahoosive'. We reeled him in and weighed it, the scales said it was 5lb 9oz but we knew that was wrong because of the net. We weighed the net and it was exactly 1lb. That meant that the fish was 4lb 9oz, a really big fish!
After that episode we moved onto the next mill pool. On our first cast we caught my first Dace which was about 4oz. Soon after we caught a tiddler dace, then a beautiful Wensum Roach. My first ever Wensum Roach! We caught another Dace but then we decided to call it a day.
When I got home I finally had my breakfast and had a shower thinking about my wonderful morning fishing.

(It was a very special moment as the rod is one that was a 21st birthday present from my father, 25 years ago!)
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Re: River Wensum (Will's first day on a millpool)

Post by TemeLAD »

We'll done young man - first class fish and first class write up. :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Excellent result and a budding angling writer :Thumb:
Hope you both enjoyed sitting in the boot of the car :Confused:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Hearty congratulations, Young Sir ... both on your catches, and on your report. Excellent work in all respects.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes well done to the little fellow.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

nice one and great photo

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I thought I did ok with my 3lb chub the other day damn fine chub Mr Will :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

He's better than me! If still yet to catch my first chub. Do you think he could give me a few lessons? :Hahaha:

Well done, Will! :Thumb:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Well done young Sir quite an impressive tally of fish
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

The little fella is looking very smug as he prepares for bedtime; he'll be having reel-spinning dreams tonight!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Wensum”