otters galore

This forum belongs to the River Test.
Chubman
Crucian Carp

otters galore

Post by Chubman »

fished the river blackwater today, which runs into the river test at testwood,within 5mins i had a dog otter in my my swim 3ft from me showing no fear of me at all,so i moved up river 100 yards only to find his mate feeding in another swim, the little river is only 6 ft wide and only 2 ft deep, so in a couple of years this pretty little stream will be devoid of fish life, fish need to be protected as well as otters

Badger1
Roach

Re: otters galore

Post by Badger1 »

Hmmmmm. Be like urban foxes once eaten themselves out of house and home. A few Koi Carp taken from garden pounds may turn public opinion away from the BBC's portrayal of cute and cuddly.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Not sure what to say about this Geoff, I see the problems that Cormorants have caused, but I suspect that Otters are viewed differently? By the way I hope that your new seat box is helping?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

It's happened on the 3 rivers that I fish regularly. The larger slow moving fish will unfortunately vanish first.
Once fish food larder is reduced and the easy pickings have been eaten.
The otters will disappear overnight.
You have just got to hope they don't come back if the fish return.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I fished the Kennet for a short while this week. A section that appears to have been stripped by otters from the nearby holt. However I also was surprised to see a cormorant or two fishing!

So there is something left in this section of river - perhaps not big - but if the cormorants are eating the young/smaller fish preventing a good natural restocking and the otters eating anything! I am worried that there are now very few fish in what was once a prolific river.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Otters are a cornerstone species, which means that they actually benefit aquatic ecosystems just like any other natural predator, like pike, perch and kingfishers etc.etc. The fact that they're living on the Test is a sure sign that the river is reasonably healthy. Others are beneficial bec they mostly eat signal crayfish and diseased fish, and help to manage the overall fish population which prevents overpopulation and subsequent stunting. Moreover, there's no evidence whatsoever that they decimate fish stocks in rivers. Just like the myth about pike being bad that was circulated in the 60's, 70's etc.etc, until the truth was eventually exposed. You chaps should really be more worried about pollution etc.etc.

A similar thread lamented the loss of big barbel from the Trent, all supposedly eaten by otters. Yet a month latter the Angling Times reported that the Trent was now and barbel Mecca! And we on tff still receive posts showing captures of big Trent barbel. Figure that one out!
Last edited by Santiago on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Badger1
Roach

Post by Badger1 »

Shoot the lot...bring back hunting and make coats out the lot of'em. Anything which moves....nail it. hahahahah Hahahahaha

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just stock all the rivers with carp!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They are not - they only report what they see, hear, and catch or dont catch!

Many on here are decrying the 800 lb bag of carp - yet bemoaning (inc me) the lack of river fish in certain rivers!

Otter introduction has in some areas destroyed about 50 years of not having them in the system - so they are to many rivers, (inc fish and mammals and birds), an alien species added to the ecosystem. Rather like American Red Signal Crayfish!

Otters were doing all right and expanding their range slowly but many introductions were not necessarily done in the right places with little regard to density - both of the released animals and their food.

They have been on the Hants Avon for years and multiplying and seem to be having little or no effect on the fish population. Whereas in some areas they have devastated fish stocks esp. in stillwaters - possibly the the local river has few things to eat!

They dont just eat fish but also land animals and birds (inc eggs) if they can catch them. So the RSPB may have something to say in the future - like the hedgehogs on the Hebrides!

So a huge expansion of a number 1 predator - no wonder we are in many cases against the furry little bu88ers!

*************************************************** many anglers are ignorant - they are not!
Last edited by Olly on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

This is quickly reached a point we're one individual starts getting insulting.
And firing bait to get a reaction ,I will have nothing to do with it.
Moderators close the thread.

Return to “River Test”