Crabtree net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Crabtree net

Post by Mark »

That looks good MGs, please keep us updated. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Hmmmm. More haste less speed. Having got what I thought was a pleasing bend, I fitted the first ferrule and tried fitting it to my existing handle. Obviously I should have measured the hoop against the required angle. To get the second end into the ferrule would require a lot of work. Not sure what to do now. Either further bend the hoop more or make another with the correct bend. At least the experiment has proved it can be done. More updates to follow
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

By an amazing co-incidence I have just finished this:

The small on in the second image is my cheats version from a couple of years ago.

Thanks to a certain someone on this forum for the parts to make the big net. A long-time dream fulfilled.

Thank-you.

You know who you are.

What fun it was un-picking a Snobee net to re-tie it on to the frame ( not)

Best birthday pressie ever!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nice work there Nobby. What is the hoop made of?

I seem to have rescued the hoop. A couple of additional small bends and it fits nicely. In fact I have only had to fit one male ferrule. The slight taper of the ferrule means the other side is a nice tight fit. Plenty of sanding and finishing work to do, nodes, whipping etc. I'll post some more photos later.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I believe it is ash, MGs. I was lucky enough to get the frame ready-shaped and had only to drill it for the spreader and treat it before putting on the net.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Lucky you.

The bent whole cane seems to be holding up well and it much stiffer than the two arm nets. I've just ordered a 68" Snowbee net. Hopefully I can get the two to go together. I may have to over-lace it. I don't want to drill in to the cane. Because of the tension, I have a feeling it would split.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I undid the Snobee cord away from the to[p of the net to get it open enough, equally from both ends and then put the whole lot onto the frame, before drawing the two sides around and re-knotting the cord back onto the net again.

It helped to have an old handle attatched holding the thing up in the air in a vice.

In hindsight it would have helped even more if I had threaded the cord through a large-eyed darning needle too.

I was worried that I would re-tie the net too low from the frame but in fact the reverse happened and I pulled it a little higher, which left me plenty of the two cord ends to tie to one another again.

The Snobee net works well, it's a very dark green, knotless, and seamless and still look like it might be an original net from the last century.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

A couple of good tips there, thanks

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

A quick photo of the frame fitted. Strange, it looks uneven in the picture, far more than in the flesh.
The short bends at the handle end are actually pretty even :think:

I wont be able to do any further work until next week. I'll take some accurate measurements and try
to even it out a bit.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Looking great already MGs, looking forward to the finished net. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”